Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

tmag
Aspirant

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Such a pain!! I hadn't logged into my router for a time and when I did, it said that I needed to upgrade my firmware. OK, I did. Then, I started receiving these issues:

"This site can’t be reached"
"Check if there is a typo in [insert URL]"

"DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"

I thought to open a support incident but I can't due to claims that I am "out of warranty". Then I discover the following:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000P-DNS-PROBE-FINISHED-NXDOMAIN-after-upd...

It is *SO* frustrating that this is a *known* issue yet the firmware upgrade still persisted. Then, on top of it, *no* support alternatives offered even though NetGear *caused* the problem.

Jeesh...

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Just enable it and try the Auto setting. I would reboot the router and all of your devices after you make the change. 

@tmag wrote:

The modem is from the TimeWarner / Spectrum cable company.

1.0.4.76 is now installed *after* the downgrade.

IPv6 - what setting is required?? I click this option under the Advanced Setup and there is a dropdown... 

Again - I am asking for instructions:

- what version firmware *should* be installed and a link to the download?

- what setting under IPv6 is to be chosen?

Thank You

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies

Which firmware version installed itself?

The last message in the discussion you link to has a solution. Roll back to what you had before.

There has also been another release since the one discussed in that conversation:

R8000P Firmware Version 1.4.3.88 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What model router do you have? Same model? 

What FW version is loaded on the router?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Have you enabled IPv6 on the router? 

@tmag wrote:

Such a pain!! I hadn't logged into my router for a time and when I did, it said that I needed to upgrade my firmware. OK, I did. Then, I started receiving these issues:

"This site can’t be reached"
"Check if there is a typo in [insert URL]"

"DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"

I thought to open a support incident but I can't due to claims that I am "out of warranty". Then I discover the following:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000P-DNS-PROBE-FINISHED-NXDOMAIN-after-upd...

It is *SO* frustrating that this is a *known* issue yet the firmware upgrade still persisted. Then, on top of it, *no* support alternatives offered even though NetGear *caused* the problem.

Jeesh...

Message 3 of 12
tmag
Aspirant

NetGear
Nighthawk X6
AC3200
R8000-100NAS

Tried getting to the downloads to provide what previous firmware version I had installed vs. what is there now but NetGear has decided to demand an email account verification (as if I hadn't gone through that when I created my account to begin with).

Anyway, I appreciate the responses. However, what I *really* need is:

-- the *exact* firmware version that I should have installed and, preferably, a link to the necessary download

-- any features that I needed to be sure are turned on

-- any necessary directions regarding said features

Thank You

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is loaded on the router?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Have you enabled IPv6 on the router? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-84-Released...

Message 5 of 12
tmag
Aspirant

IPv6 - what setting is required?? I click this option under the Advanced Setup and there is a dropdown... 

Thank You

Message 6 of 12

@tmag wrote:

Yes, but what is it? Spectrum has provided a lot of different devices over the years. They won't all be the same.

How about the bit in the manual?

Specify IPv6 Internet Connections

Maybe try the bit that says select Auto Config?

Your earlier statement is odd:

Tried getting to the downloads to provide what previous firmware version I had installed vs. what is there now but NetGear has decided to demand an email account verification (as if I hadn't gone through that when I created my account to begin with).

What does "provide what previous firmware version I had installed" mean?

Provide?

You want to check which version you have installed? Or do you want to download some older version?

There is no need for any email account to get firmware.The whole library for your hardware is on the support pages for the device.

Nighthawk X6 R8000 | AC3200 Tri Band Router | NETGEAR Support

No need for any credentials.

This is the latest version:

R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.84 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Just enable it and try the Auto setting. I would reboot the router and all of your devices after you make the change. 

@tmag wrote:

Thank You

Message 8 of 12
tmag
Aspirant

Spectrum Model: TC8717T

How about the bit in the manual?

Specify IPv6 Internet Connections

Ummm... the manual that I have which came with my router does not have what you stated above. I will select Auto-Config and ignore the rest of the settings one page once Auto-Config is selected from the dropdown as none were provided.

What does "provide what previous firmware version I had installed" mean?

Provide?

You want to check which version you have installed? Or do you want to download some older version?

There is no need for any email account to get firmware.The whole library for your hardware is on the support pages for the device.

I wanted to provide herein the previous version of the firmware I had installed which started the issue vs. what I downgraded to. The NetGear website began demanding my email verification which also didn't work. I didn't receive any notifications but it wouldn't allow me to move about the site or look at my account details, etc. Strange... so, yeah, if my responses appeared strange, so did the fact that I upgrade my firmware, it then no longer works as expected and, on top of it, when I log into my account, it demands re-verification *without* properly sending me the verification email...

To me, what's stranger in all of this, one would think it would be easy enough to detail the firmware version that worked *before* the complaints started. What's that?

Message 9 of 12
tmag
Aspirant

OK

Message 10 of 12

@tmag wrote:

Spectrum Model: TC8717T

Does it have four LAN ports on the back?

If this is what you mean, then your "modem" is a modem router:

Amazon.com: Technicolor TC8717T DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Modem + Telephone/VoIP : Electronics

If so, then you are in classic "double NAT" country.

That is why @FURRYe38 asked you for that detail very early on in the discussion.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

tc8717t bridge mode - Google Search

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You might like to sort out the basics of your network before you dig much deeper.

Message 11 of 12
tmag
Aspirant

These details sound fine except for one problem:

Everything worked fine *before* the recent firmware upgrade.

Anyway, will look into what you recommended...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7