Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extremely Slow R8000

Gallo0880
Tutor

Extremely Slow R8000

I have been experiencing extremely slow speeds even while sitting next to the router. I Have 400/400 with Verizon Fios and have dealt with them to no avail so I started toubleshooting the router itself.

I have done a factory reset, another factory rest and firmware roll back to 1.0.4.28 as I saw on a previous post here. That still changed none of my speed issues. I don't know what else to do. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you can't max out the speed and have stability issues when directly connected to the ONT, it kind of points at the ont a bit. I'd get that fixed first and then troubleshoot the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What speeds are you getting from the R8000?

wired: 

Wireless: 2.4ghz-    5ghz-

What device are you testing on? 

What verizon gateway are you using? 

Message 2 of 13
Gallo0880
Tutor

What speeds are you getting from the R8000?

wired: I can't find any ethernet cords, They've disappeared somewhere doing a move but I'm going to go get one later today.

Wireless: 2.4ghz- 14Mbps/68Mbps  5ghz- 25Mbps/96Mbps

What device are you testing on?

Here's the strange thing. When i use the Nightgear app on my Iphone XR it shows the same type speeds as on my Lenovo Laptop. But if I use whatever speed test pops up on google it shows I'm in the mid 90's. On My laptop I use a TP-Link Archer T3U USB adaptor because the built in wifi was really unreliable even after driver installs. 

What verizon gateway are you using? 

I opted to use my own router so there is just the verizon box outside and the installer ran an ethernet cord to the second level of my 3 level townhouse.

The box that is downstairs is a Nokia (I believe thats the ONT?)

Message 3 of 13
Gallo0880
Tutor

I found a CAT5 cable and just ran a speed test and they are identical to Wifi.

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

Many of verizon's ONT's have integrated modems. Do you know what nokia it is? 

what speed do you get directly off the ont? 

Message 5 of 13
Gallo0880
Tutor

I've never been in this box but it is a Verizon ONT I-211M-L

I cant see anywhere free that I can plug an cord in. There is a green ethernet not plugged into anything. Should i just unplug the ethernet cable that runs up to my router and use that to plus my computer directly into?

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

@Gallo0880 wrote:

I've never been in this box but it is a Verizon ONT I-211M-L

I cant see anywhere free that I can plug an cord in. There is a green ethernet not plugged into anything. Should i just unplug the ethernet cable that runs up to my router and use that to plus my computer directly into?---yes, directly test the speed from the ont. 

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

does verizon have any other gateways/devices attached? 

Message 8 of 13
Gallo0880
Tutor

The verizon speed test started, got up to 257, made it halfway through then failed.

Message 9 of 13
Gallo0880
Tutor

Negative. There is a bunch of wires around but no other devices.

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

If you can't max out the speed and have stability issues when directly connected to the ONT, it kind of points at the ont a bit. I'd get that fixed first and then troubleshoot the router. 

Message 11 of 13
Gallo0880
Tutor

Update, Verizon just left. A squirel or something had chewed throught the ethernet cable running into the house. Now everything is fine. Thanks for trying to troubleshoot.

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it fixed!
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements