Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Failure Connection (Honeywell WIFI Thermostat)

prosportal
Aspirant

Failure Connection (Honeywell WIFI Thermostat)

I have had a Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat (RTH6580WF) for a number of years now. Within the past 6 months, I purchased a Nighthawk R6400. Since then, i always get "Connection Failure" on my thermostat; despite doing numerous resets.

Today, I decided to fire up my phone's hotspot and try to register the thermostat through that wireless SSID and it worked like a charm. That leads me to believe there's something not configured correctly on the router itself.

Has anyone else seen this and could you offer a solution?

Wireless Setup:

Broadcasting SSID

Channel: auto

Mode: Up to 450Mbps

Security:

WPA2-PSK[AES]

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
duckware
Prodigy

Try dropping 2.4 GHz mode mode from "450 Mbps" to something lower (changes from 40Mhz mode possible to 20Mhz mode)?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies

These things usually come down to the device you are trying to connect.

Have you sought help in the places where they support the Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat?

Message 2 of 10
prosportal
Aspirant

I have not. I began this troubleshooting expedition by connecting it successfully to other routers. So far, I have been successful on a Linksys router and my phone's hotspot, but the thermostat will not connect to my nighthawk router's wifi. Therefore, I have reached out for assintance on this forum first.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

@prosportalwrote:

I have not. I began this troubleshooting expedition by connecting it successfully to other routers. So far, I have been successful on a Linksys router and my phone's hotspot, but the thermostat will not connect to my nighthawk router's wifi. Therefore, I have reached out for assintance on this forum first.

Message 4 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

Try dropping 2.4 GHz mode mode from "450 Mbps" to something lower (changes from 40Mhz mode possible to 20Mhz mode)?

Message 5 of 10
prosportal
Aspirant

So, it looks like this thermostat will ONLY work on "Up to 54mbps" which has a negative impact on all my other devices, but suppose that's the limitation of wireless- G

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The router should be able to handle 54Mb for some devices and up up higher speeds for others. 

Be sure to set WPA and WPA2 and AUTO and see. 

Message 7 of 10
prosportal
Aspirant

Official response:

Thank you for contacting Honeywell.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused.

Honeywell thermostats only operate on the 2.4GHz range meaning they are only compatible with wireless 802.11 b/g/n.

They are not compatible with the 5GHz networks, 802.11 n/ac. There is not a need for this compatibility since the thermostat is a low bandwidth device. Also, the 2.4GHz frequency gives a better distance and penetrating power vs the 5GHz range.

Message 8 of 10

That doesn't help. Of course they do not support 5 GHz. They simply won't see it or try to connect.

What you need to know is any restrictions on the 2.4 GHz. That is what @duckware is getting at.

Message 9 of 10
rtclemen
Aspirant

I found this on the Honeywell website: https://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/questions/lyric-thermostat-compatibility-11

Afer my contractor and I spent several hours trying to get a Lyric T6 to connect, I checked my routers for Wi-Fi Alliance certification on their website (https://www.wi-fi.org/) and found that neither of the two are compatible.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7