Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Generic streaming device

Enterprise77
Aspirant

Generic streaming device

Generic streaming device showing up in my list of devices. I block the device, then it

unblocks itself! I deleted it, came back again even though I marked do not add devices

automatically! I'm at a loss.....

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Generic streaming device

Disable the iPhones WiFI Privacy Address feature. This is the feature that causes this. This is a Apple feature. Not needed when Apple devices are at home. 

@Enterprise77 wrote:
Yes, my son's Iphone.....different IP/MAC address...

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies

@Enterprise77 wrote:

Generic streaming device showing up in my list of devices.

Tried tracking down what it is?

Does it have a MAC address that you can search for?

Message 2 of 14
Enterprise77
Aspirant

Yes, traced the MAC address with various searches, "unknown" no device in my house matches the device. I think I'll just get rid of NETGEAR and try other product that's more secure
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

got an iphone on your network? I've seen their "random mac/ip" feature cause issues like that. 

Message 4 of 14
Enterprise77
Aspirant

Message 5 of 14

@Enterprise77 wrote:
I think I'll just get rid of NETGEAR and try other product that's more secure

What makes you think that the Netgear router is the culprit?Or that what you see is some sort of security problem?

If this is something forced on you by the client, then you will have thrown away money on one device for another one that does the same thing.

We k now nothing about the stuff you have running on your network. As @plemans says iJunk has been implicated in strange behaviour. (It likes to change Mac addresses just for the heck of it, for example.) Samsung also does odd things. Windows likewise.

You could of course, stop using the Internet, but a better strategy might be to try to track down why this happens.

Message 6 of 14
Enterprise77
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I've been tracking, trying numerous fixes for weeks now. I have the normal devices that most have, alexa, iPad, Samsung phones, ... nothing out of the ordinary. My last option is to reset the router to factory specs, start again and see. Same issue, bye bye netgear
Message 7 of 14

What makes you think this is a security issue?

Message 8 of 14
Enterprise77
Aspirant

Device can't be delete, when blocked, it auto unblocks itself..... sounds like a hack, security flaw to me
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable the iPhones WiFI Privacy Address feature. This is the feature that causes this. This is a Apple feature. Not needed when Apple devices are at home. 

@Enterprise77 wrote:

Message 10 of 14
Enterprise77
Aspirant

Thanks, will try after work. Will advise
Message 11 of 14

@Enterprise77 wrote:
Device can't be delete, when blocked, it auto unblocks itself..... sounds like a hack, security flaw to me

Only if it is a flaw in the router rather than something imposed on you by another device.

Networks are a complicated mixture of dozens of different bits and pieces. It is all too easy to scream router but, as we increasingly discover, other gadgets also play a part.

The key is to track down why this happens and what causes it. Only then can you blame your router. Otherwise you could end up with a new device that does exactly the same thing.

This sort of thing is not unique to Netgear:

A device called "Generic brand ISP TV box" appears to be connected, as well as hard-wired to our net...

Message 12 of 14
Enterprise77
Aspirant

Success! That worked! I was wrong, no a security issue as thought. I can keep my router a little while longer!
Message 13 of 14

@Enterprise77 wrote:
Success! That worked! I was wrong, no a security issue as thought. I can keep my router a little while longer!

Thanks for reporting back. Very useful.

Yet another one to add to the list of unexplained things that Apple and Samsung, and probably others, do to baffle us.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7