Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Metal pole barn

Rdtapt
Aspirant

Metal pole barn

I have a metal pole barn/garage, which is only maybe 50' from my house, that I'm having trouble getting wifi into. I bought a R7000P Nighthawk to extend my coverage from my house but that didn't help despite having range to spare, its just not getting through the metal exterior. Next, I added an EX6120 extender in the garage, using an extension cord I mounted it in the closest window to my house (which I saw on another post in here). It connects but I can only get about 1 mbps, essentially unusable. Unfortunately, I do not have the option to run a wire.. 

I saw another post on here talking about a wireless bridge kit. I am not super familiar with these, if someone could explain how the set up would go. Would you bring the nighthawk into the pole barn then go straight off my Verizon Fios modem/router (g1100) to the bridge to the nighthawk in the garage?

Also could someone point me to a decent kit that hopefully wont break the bank?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
Rdtapt
Aspirant

Or.. am I over thinking this and I could just bring the Nighthawk into the garage and connect an outdoor antenna to that? 

Message 2 of 12
Rdtapt
Aspirant

Something like the Netgear ANT2409?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend since the bar is make of metal, that you run a CAT6A STP cable from the main building out to this barn. Then connect up a router and configure it for AP mode. Then you'll get good wifi at the barn area. 

Message 4 of 12
Rdtapt
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, but as stated in original post, I unfortunately do not have the option to run a wire.
Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Netgear's Airbridge is a wireless bridge setup. 

You'd get 2 of them. 

1 you'd mount on the house and point at the garage

the other you'd put on the garage. 

The you'd use a wireless access point inside the garage to connect to the bridge on the garage. 

The metal is going to block signals. So you need something to get the signal to the garage and then something in the garage to connect to that device and rebroadcast it. 

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 12
Rdtapt
Aspirant

Thank you, that sounds simple enough! The product you mentioned is unavailable though, could you or someone else recommend a different product? Thanks again.
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Might look up Air Bridge WiFi on Amazon and see whats available. 

Message 9 of 12
Kitsap
Master

Do your have AC power in the garage?

Does it share a mains circuit panel with the house?

Have your thought of a power line Wi-Fi extender?

Do a search on Amazon for Power Line Wi-Fi Extenders.

Message 10 of 12
Rdtapt
Aspirant

Not available on Amazon or anywhere else, must have been discontinued. A lot of generic bridge set ups come up on Amazon, not sure what's good and what's not. Guess I'll just have to pick one and try it. Why does this have to be so complicated? Lol
Message 11 of 12
Rdtapt
Aspirant

It does have AC, a sub panel run off the house main panel. I've never heard of ac wifi, I'll look into it. Thanks!
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7