Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need Some Help Please..

Adilost
Aspirant

Need Some Help Please..

Dear NetGear Community,

Last week I bought the NightHawk X6 AC3200 Router as an addition to boost my Home Network's WiFi performance .

Installation was pretty easy, just downloaded the NightHawk app from the Google Playstore, run it, followed the instructions on my smartphone, and I was ready to go. All within 10 minutes if I'm not mistaken 🙂

After installation I did a firmware update right away (V1.0.4.18_10.1.49). After this was done I've logged in to the router, changed the SSID names to my likings. I also choose to use only one 5Ghz frequency band, so I disabled the 2nd 5Ghz wireless network within the router settings.

After all was done, I started to connect all my devices one by one to the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz network frequency bands. Now, some devices had internet right away, some didn't.

Sure, all WiFi icons on my devices are showing that it has connection with WiFi from the X6 router, but that was not the case. How do I know? Well as soon I've connected a device I did a speedtest with the OOKLA SpeedTest app from the Google Playstore. Some devices have stable speeds like 380Mb/sec, but the others started like around 200Mb and immediatly dropped to 0Mb/sec.

So i tried the following: Disconnect the WiFi from the device that was suffering from this symptom and turning it back on. Did a speed test again, no succes. I tried this for many, many times, all ended with no different results. So i started looking in my router. I did not change any settings except change SSID names and turning of the 2nd 5Ghz network.

My eye caught something, namely:

Most devices (with internet actually working) were connected to a IP address like (see attachment file 1 - green arrow):

On the other hand, the devices that were connected but had no internet had IP addresses like (see attachment 1 - red arrow):

This is for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network. Why is that? I have no clue. Can anybody give me some clearity on the subject? Am i doing something wrong?

My setup looks like this:

• I have a Modem/Router from my internet provider installed. They call it the "Ziggo Connect Box". 
  • NightHawk X6 connected to the "Connect Box".
  1. I already trief factory reset on both routers.
  2. Also tried to disable the DHCPv4-Server option on the Connect Box while NightHawk X6 "Use Router as DHCP Server" is enabled.
  3. Tried to disable the NightHawk X6"Use Router as DHCP Server" while Connect Box is enabled.
  4. Turned off the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency bands on the Connect Box.

None of these steps realy solved the issue..

As a last option I've tried to setup the NightHawk X6 as a Acces Point by enabling this option from within the advanced settings.

For a little while I was happy because now the devices that did not have internet before did have internet. But then after a while i came to realize now one of the devices that did had internet now does not. It also is connected to the "10.195.209.X" IP address. Also this way i can not use the full potential of my NetGear router 😞

Am I doing something wrong here?

Looking forward for any reply that can give me clearity on the subject 🙂

Thanks in advance..

Love from Holland!

Cheers

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Need Some Help Please..

The Netgear router must be able to pickup a public IP address on the Internet/WAN port - commonu on cable TV by DCHP. Cold reboot the Ziggo-Bix, let it reconfigure from the ISP network, then bring the Netgear router up. There must be more disabled than just the DHCP server on the Ziggo btw.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Is the Zigo box acting as a pure router, or is it configured to work as a fully blown NAT router, and issuing 10.x.x.x or 10.195.209.x LAN IPs to direct connected devices? What is the Netgear router WAN/Internet address?

Message 2 of 8
Adilost
Aspirant

First let me thank you for your quick reply, I really appreciate it..

I myself am not to technical. But I think the Ziggo Box is acting as a pure modem/router. I've looked in the configuration/settings but could not find anything regarding NAT settings or what so ever.

Regarding the "10.x.x.x or 10.195.209.x LAN IPs" question. I am affraid I dont understand your question correctly.. Do you mean if they are connected via Ethernet Cable? If that's your question, no they are not. Everything is pure wireless..

When it comes to my NetGear router information, I think pictures saying more then words (since I'm not that technical), so therefor I've attached* a few screenshots regarding the NetGear configuration/settings.

https://ibb.co/cvhd6y
https://ibb.co/mu3kmy
https://ibb.co/nLTwtd
https://ibb.co/mx8wtd
https://ibb.co/ik09Dd

Please let me know what you think..

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Based on some short reading the Ziggo Connectbox does default to be Modem and Router, so including NAT et all - a dedicated router is not required.Ziggo Connectbox says:

"Bij een internetabonnement van Ziggo krijg je altijd een wifi-modem. Dat is een modem en router in één. Een wifi-modem is geschikt voor bedraad en draadloos internet. Hierdoor is een aparte router niet nodig."

Have discovered an option (items listed to the right side "Bridge-modus anzetten") to re-configure the Ziggo Box to bridge mode so it behaves like a pure Modem - Bridge-modus inschakelen Heb je een super-de-luxe router gekocht die je wilt gebruiken in plaats van... 

For the Ziggo Connectbox you can contact thier support and request the reconfiguration to a pure bridged modem (if my Swiss-German Dutch reading is correct).

"
We kunnen dit modem alleen op afstand in bridge-modus zetten. Neem contact op met de Klantenservice. Dan helpen we je verder."

Still unclear from where these 10.x IP addresses were coming from - I had the assumption these were addresses "leaked" over the Netgear router from the Ziggo DHCP - however that one seems to be on 192.161.178.0/24 network.

Hope this does help for the moment.

Regards,

-Kurt  

Message 4 of 8
Adilost
Aspirant

Thanks again for your expertise schumaku..

I've called the customer service, they have put the connect box in bridge mode, let's see if this changes things..

Keep you updated 🙂

Message 5 of 8
Adilost
Aspirant

Oke, so after the customer service has turned on the bridge mode on the connect box (Basicly they turned of the DHCPv4 option), I powered off the NetGear router, unplugged it from the power cable. After that did the same with the connect box.

After 5 minutes or so I plugged back the cable in the connect box, powered it back on. After that did the same with the NighHawk X6 (plugged the ethernet cable in port 1 of the connect box).

I should have internet via the NightHawk router right?

My devices connect to it via WiFi, but no internet..

The "Internet" LED on top of the NightHawk is orange instead of white now.
Also when i log in to the NetGear router, i see this:

https://pictr.com/image/21p7Q
https://pictr.com/image/21l8V

Also, Information that was before on the Internet IP Address page is also gone..

https://pictr.com/image/21Sav

Am i missing something?
Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

The Netgear router must be able to pickup a public IP address on the Internet/WAN port - commonu on cable TV by DCHP. Cold reboot the Ziggo-Bix, let it reconfigure from the ISP network, then bring the Netgear router up. There must be more disabled than just the DHCP server on the Ziggo btw.
Message 7 of 8
Adilost
Aspirant

Succes! Smiley Happy

After i did what this, the orange LED on the NetGear router turned white again. Also when i log in to the NetGear router i see now it had connection with the internet via the Connect Box.

Thank you very much sir, God bless.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7