Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need help with Nighthawk router

shimganar
Follower

Need help with Nighthawk router

Hey all,

I've been trying to set up pi-hole on my Ubuntu server pc. There are queries being blocked, but it seems that I still have ads? I'm not sure if this is because I set it up incorrectly. I've heard that Netgear routers may have some issues (which might be why I only see 3 clients on the admin page)

Equipment being used:

• AT&T gateway modem that has wifi turned off

• R7400 Nighthawk Router (what everything is connected to)

• Pi-hole on a PC running Ubuntu (connected to router via ethernet)

I've only changed the DNS settings under Netgear Internet Setup to my pi-hole device's static IP. Might this be the issue? Do I need to change anything on the DNS for the pi-hole settings? It's currently just two boxes checked under IPv4 for OpenDNS.

Message 1 of 3

@shimganar wrote:

Equipment being used:

• AT&T gateway modem that has wifi turned off

This does not disable the router bit of this unnamed gateway. You will, therefore, still be liable to "double NAT" problems.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

To eliminate that, you need to put this gateway not bridge (modem only) mode. But that is not always easy with AT&T kit.

I've only changed the DNS settings under Netgear Internet Setup to my pi-hole device's static IP. Might this be the issue? Do I need to change anything on the DNS for the pi-hole settings? It's currently just two boxes checked under IPv4 for OpenDNS.

See above.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

A coupling things to add. 

1. you also need to setup the IPv6 dns side if you have ipv6 enabled

2. the block list through the pihole is also important. Some lists are better than others that you use. Best to ask on the pihole forums for list recommendations for specific ads

3. Some adds are built into the site thats used. Pihole uses dns blocking meaning if the ad sends its own request, it can bet blocked. But if its integrated into the site, it won't get blocked. (simple way of putting it)

you will still get ads with pihole but it cuts down a lot of them. 

And you won't see many clients if your still using your router for dhcp and just using the dns part of it. 

You'll get more help/ideas from the pihole community as this is the netgear forum and the router isn't doing much on the pihole side other than pointing the dns requests at it. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series