Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Neighbor hacked my router?

rogen22
Follower

Neighbor hacked my router?

I have some pretty serious concerns that my neighbor is aware of my network traffic. There have been several things that he has talked about that, he could only have learned from following my internet traffic or possibly listening in on one of my cameras. He is an IT professional and alluded to knowing how to do just about anything with the internet.
Today I went to change my passwords on my Netgear router and my saved passwords do not work. Needless to say, I'm a little concerned. How can I tell if things have been played with or modified?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Neighbor hacked my router?

If you can't get in, not much to be able to do. 

But I'd just start with a factory reset. 

during the install setup strong passwords for the router and then the wifi ssid. 

Also, check your modem. I've seen users have modem/router combo devices and not realize it wasn't just a modem and someone piggy-backing on those. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Neighbor hacked my router?

@rogen22 wrote:

Today I went to change my passwords on my Netgear router and my saved passwords do not work. Needless to say, I'm a little concerned. How can I tell if things have been played with or modified?

It takes a lot more than access to your wifi to intercept and read your Internet traffic.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series