Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgears Known Issues With R8000P Firmware Being Stuck On v1.4.1.50

Jethro2372
Guide

Netgears Known Issues With R8000P Firmware Being Stuck On v1.4.1.50

If you have an R8000P router experiencing the issues below return it ASAP. Netgear support will attempt to find any way they can to not RMA your device or resolve a known issue with their product. With the amount of customers who are experiencing this issue there should have been a voluntary recall and extended support offered to everyone who has purchased it. I am outside of my warranty window by six months.  

Hello, I purchased a used R8000P router with serial # 5fm5047ta142e. After installation I attempted to update the firmware from 1.4.1.50 to 1.4.1.68. The router rebooted but did not install the firmware it shows and upgrade is available to the same firmware I already tried installing. I attempted this same upgrade multiple times both online and with a local firmware file without any luck. I attempted again to update the firmware from 1.4.1.50 to 1.4.1.62 and it also failed. After some research I have found multiple threads on the Netgear community filled with people having the exact same issue as I am which required an RMA of the router. On top of not being able to upgrade the firmware the router continuously drops my wifi when I am working remotely and that is un acceptable. Please advise on a path forward for resolving these issues with my router. I understand I bought it used however this router is in like new condition and just barely outside of its warranty.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Jethro2372
Guide

@IdahoScott @gl-moore @Scorpio123 @ds1973 @zag001 @R8000PFixer @Dave3544 @timetoseek @michaelkenward @tlreese77 @Oskitou @Shoestar @plemans @Mitus @malssid @shadowsports @nwork @wtdoor95 @LOISLANE  NETGEAR TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS. ADD UP THE AMOUNT OF CUSTOMERS TIME THAT HAS BEEN WASTED FIXING YOUR PRODUCT. THIS IS NOT SOME CHEAP ROUTER OFF THE SHELF AT WALMART. YOUR CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT BE REQUIRED TO TROUBLESHOOT AND RESOLVE ISSUES WITH A PRODUCT!

Message 2 of 6
Jethro2372
Guide

@jmr33 @dvs_xerxes @kye4u2 @PCorn @JMitchem @DR650SE @melgo

Apparently you can only tag 20 users at a time so here are a few more customers I easily located dealing with the same issues.

NETGEAR TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS. ADD UP THE AMOUNT OF CUSTOMERS TIME THAT HAS BEEN WASTED FIXING YOUR PRODUCT. THIS IS NOT SOME CHEAP ROUTER OFF THE SHELF AT WALMART. YOUR CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT BE REQUIRED TO TROUBLESHOOT AND RESOLVE ISSUES WITH A PRODUCT!

Message 3 of 6
nwork
Apprentice

I gave my router away after the most recent firmware started acting up. Just to clarify: I went through a lot of trouble to get a RMA for the unit stuck on .50. The replacement worked fine until another firmware update messed up the performance. That was the last straw. Bought an Asus for about the same amount of money. There's an absolutely huge difference in terms of performance (incl. range & stability) and user friendliness (the Netgear UI is a nightmare compared to competitors'). I ended up giving my NG setup (R8000P + EX7500 range extender) away to a friend who loves DYI-ing. A few hundred euros lost, but I've learned my lesson: I'm never even looking at a NG product again. Good luck with your issues!

Message 4 of 6
Mpruitt
Initiate

I’m having the same issue as well and I bought it brand new! I’m outside my warranty so now I’m just screwed! We should take to all their social media platforms and voice our concern there and see if they listen then. Absolutely ridiculous that this is basically garbage after spending hundreds of dollars.
Message 5 of 6
Jethro2372
Guide

Hi @Mpruitt ,

Below is my response from Netgear support. Maybe they will choose to offer you "Tier 2" support with your issue. I also support your social media approach; Unfortunately, I do not use social media so the community was my best option. Good luck and sorry you are having to deal with this issue as well. It is extremely frustrating and a security concern to every person running an un patchable home router.

@DexterJB 

Hi @Jethro2372, we're reaching out to you regarding the issue that you are encountering with your NETGEAR device. We can endorse you over to our Level 2 support team for them to help in finding a resolution. If you're ok with that, please provide the following information for us to contact you:

• Preferred Contact number
• Date
• Best time frame (please include Time Zone)

You may also provide your email address as an alternative in the event that we cannot contact you over the phone.

Regards,

Dexter
NETGEAR Team

To: DexterJB NETGEAR Moderator
Sent: ‎2022-03-21 11:54 AM

Hi Dexter,

I have returned the Netgear router and chosen to use a different manufacturer given my experience with Netgear's support on a known issue. As a network administrator working with different vendors and products day in and day out I find it very troublesome that so many users of the Netgear R8000P are being forced to purchase different products. Even suggesting to typical users of a home product to install a firmware update via TFTP is completely unacceptable.

Hopefully Netgear can learn and take customers issues more seriously. In todays world of remote working customers can not afford for their routers to be undependable and un supported by the manufacturer. Netgear has lost my business, there are to many other options out there that don't involve the time and frustration of fixing a knowingly broken product.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7