Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware upgrade R7000

Franardo316
Aspirant

New Firmware upgrade R7000

I applied the new firmware upgrade and noticed a decline in speed in upload and download , is this normal. Will there be a fix?
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Which firmware did you upgrade to? 

Did you do a factory reset/reinstall after the update?

What speeds were you getting? And now?

Are thos speeds over 2.4gh? 5gh? wired?

How are you testing speeds? (device, website, app, etc)

Message 2 of 13
Franardo316
Aspirant

I using the net gear app gor the speed and 5ghz connection, called isp and there’s no issue on their part
Message 3 of 13
Franardo316
Aspirant

I did a power cycle, a reset and reboot also, did not change anything. Is they’re a way to go back to previous firmware?
Message 4 of 13
Franardo316
Aspirant

I’m thinking it’s an issue with the phone app, because even my devices list is missing entries
Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

Which firmware did you upgrade to? 

Did you do a factory reset/reinstall after the update?

What speeds were you getting? And now?

Are thos speeds over 2.4gh? 5gh? wired?

Downgrading firmware is easy. Simply go to the support site for your device. click on downloads, then +view previous versions. then download the version you want. Follow the manual firmware update process but instead of using the newer firmware, use the version you downloaded. 

Message 6 of 13
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@plemans  I just noticed today on my Nighthawk app, that v.1.0.11.126 has just been released. This is the first time I think that a firmware update has actually appeared on my app. Obviously, I won't be using the app to do the firmware upgrade! I've not upgraded yet but will do so later today when my Wife has finished work. Looking at the release notes with the fixes, there's quite a few but I've not looked at them all to see how it affects my own router.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

The release notes I see show basically security fixes. Hopefully it works well for you!

Message 8 of 13
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@plemans  Thanks. I don't forsee any issues. I've done at least six firmware upgrades in the last 18 months without incident.

I also logged into the router GUI and finally, the firmware upgrade assistant actually works! This is the first time it's found a new firmware upgrade, so clearly someone, somewhere has seen all the moaning and griping and has done something about it.

Oh well, I'll sit back now and wait for another repeat thread asking the same old questions because no one can be bothered to use the search function and again read that someone thinks they're on the latest firmware but are actually 3 years behind Smiley LOL

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

Yeah, its seemed like the R7000 stalls on updates at a certain point. I'm glad it seen it for you!

Message 10 of 13
Franardo316
Aspirant

@Portwey84 

why is it a bad idea to use the app to do the firmware upgrade? could that be the root of my issues?

Message 11 of 13

@Franardo316 wrote:

@Portwey84 

why is it a bad idea to use the app to do the firmware upgrade? could that be the root of my issues?

Several reasons:

• apps use wifi that can fall over in the middle of the download
  • if you use the app to use the router's built-in update feature, that uses both wifi and requires the router to download the firmware "on the fly" in a process that is also more sensitive to Internet "wobbles"

The manual process with a wired connection means that you have a copy of the firmware on your PC and there is a direct connection between your PC and the router, with no wifi or Internet to fall over during the update.

In the vast majority of cases, a wifi update on an app will work, but when people turn up here with update problems, it turns out that the link broke between router and firmware source.

Power cuts also cause some of these failures and even there you have more control over what goes on.

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward is exactly correct. When we see corrupt firmware issues, it tends to be those who did it over wifi, via the app, or using the automatic update. A manual update over a hardwired connection seems to have the greatest success. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7