Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk x10 r9000 bottlenecking internet/ Getting only about 14% of full internet speed!

G_Becker
Aspirant

NightHawk x10 r9000 bottlenecking internet/ Getting only about 14% of full internet speed!

When running and testing wired setups:

I am getting the following speed results when I run my router between the Cable Modem and PC:

DownLoad: 13.7 mbps

UpLoad: 11.3 mbps

When I run the speed test within the Router Software the router reports the following:

DownLoad: 117.27 mbps

UpLoad: 11.84 mbps

If I hook the PC directly up to the Cable Modem I get:

DownLoad: 93.7 mbps

UpLoad: 11.8 mbps

I am paying my ISP for 100/10 service.

Can anyone tell me what to try to do to get the router to stop reducing my internet speed?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
G_Becker
Aspirant

Re: NightHawk x10 r9000 bottlenecking internet/ Getting only about 14% of full internet speed!

I appreciate your reply to my issue.  I apologize for my delay in responding but I have been away from my computer for the past four days.  I will not be responding to your information request as my question is now longer applicable. 

I discovered that I had an extended warranty with the store from which the Router was originally purchased.  They exchanged my router for a new router of the same model.  The new router suffered the same issues as the old one.  However, since it was a new router the NetGear website popped-up and wanted it registered.  I registered the new router and started at once to take advantage of the 90 days of free technical support offered by NetGear on their newly purchased products.  After many hours on the phone the NetGear their “EXPERTS” determined that the router must be defective and should be returned to them for replacement.  I, of course, returned it to the store that sold it to me but this time opted for the refund rather than the replacement.  So like so many of the other cases I have read in the NetGear community pages this case ends with as final solution of “I get rid of the NetGear product!”.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies

Re: NightHawk x10 r9000 bottlenecking internet/ Getting only about 14% of full internet speed!

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Tried turning off QoS and the traffic meter?

What is the modem in front of this router?

Message 2 of 16
G_Becker
Aspirant

Why dodn't my replies post?

Message 3 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Why don't you reply to Michaels very few questios? All are perfectly valid. You talk to members of the ommunity here, Netgear does not chime in on every post.
Message 4 of 16

@G_Becker wrote:

Why dodn't my replies post?

What do you mean? You have written answers that vanished?

If you want answers to questions, try supplying the information that Netgear suggests in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

Answers here can only be as good as the information you provide. 

Message 5 of 16
G_Becker
Aspirant

Yes, have written answers that vanished!  6 or 8 of them...  the "Why dodn't my replies post?" was sent from my father's computer not my home computer.

Message 6 of 16
G_Becker
Aspirant

So here is the reply (ikept a copy after the third attempt) that I started with at 9:53AM 08/19/2018:

First, thank you for your help!

What firmware version do you have on the device? 

(Should have included this in the original post [my bad!])

From upper right of Genie Software page: Router Firmware Version V1.0.4.2.

This was redownloaded and reinstalled on 08/18/2018 in an attempt to ensure I had the latest.

Tried turning off QoS and the traffic meter?

QoS was originally off when I started troubleshooting on 08/17/2018.  It has since been turned on then back off.  It is now off.

Took me a while to find the "traffic meter" but it is off and as far as I can tell it has never been turned on. 

A ubee: TWC Model: DVW32CB  Ubee Part No.: DVW32C1.  The Modem belongs to Spectrum (my ISP) and is about six months old.

Also, I have by-passed the router (that is connected the cable that runs from the modem to the router directly to the cable that runs from the router to the computer) on three different computers all get 90+ mbps when router is by-passed but only about 14 mbps when router is being used.

Finally, I posted a similar note to this at around 10:00 am(MST) today, I even earned a badge for doing it, but I do not now see that post showing.  So if this is a repeat I am sorry..

Message 7 of 16

@G_Becker wrote:

A ubee: TWC Model: DVW32CB  Ubee Part No.: DVW32C1.  The Modem belongs to Spectrum (my ISP) and is about six months old.

Your "modem", or gateway, is also a router. That means that you need to configure it correctly if you want to have two routers on the network and not have problems.

This means that your gateway needs to configured in "bridge" mode. Either that or you can put the r9000 into access point mode.

The modem also broadcasts wifi. If gateway and router are close to each other, it might be a good idea to disable the wifi on the gateway.

Message 8 of 16
G_Becker
Aspirant

My replies keep getting rejected.  but the Ubee is in bridge mode

Message 9 of 16
G_Becker
Aspirant

attached is reply I would like to send

Message 10 of 16

@G_Becker wrote:

My replies keep getting rejected.  but the Ubee is in bridge mode

So how come this arrived?

What happens when you try to post?

Message 11 of 16
G_Becker
Aspirant

That was try number 11

They say they posted but if I log out and back in they are not there

I may be too wordy

please see the attached for what I wanted to say.

Message 12 of 16
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi G_Becker, 

Please access router settings page and go to Advanced TAB and click "Show Statistics". What is the WAN Port status? Does the issue affect all devices connected to the router (wired and wireless)? You mentioned that you already reflashed the firmware, did you try resetting the router? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 13 of 16
G_Becker
Aspirant

I apprciate your help!

I will try to reply...

WAN Port Status = 1000m/Full

All devices connected to the router (wired and wireless) affected, the wired run at about 14-15 wirekess 20-25. I am pay fro 100 and i can get about 101-107 if I bypass the router.

Did a factory reset and got the same results both before and after renaming nteworks and resetting to my passwords.

Message 14 of 16
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi G_Becker, 

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 15 of 16
G_Becker
Aspirant

I appreciate your reply to my issue.  I apologize for my delay in responding but I have been away from my computer for the past four days.  I will not be responding to your information request as my question is now longer applicable. 

I discovered that I had an extended warranty with the store from which the Router was originally purchased.  They exchanged my router for a new router of the same model.  The new router suffered the same issues as the old one.  However, since it was a new router the NetGear website popped-up and wanted it registered.  I registered the new router and started at once to take advantage of the 90 days of free technical support offered by NetGear on their newly purchased products.  After many hours on the phone the NetGear their “EXPERTS” determined that the router must be defective and should be returned to them for replacement.  I, of course, returned it to the store that sold it to me but this time opted for the refund rather than the replacement.  So like so many of the other cases I have read in the NetGear community pages this case ends with as final solution of “I get rid of the NetGear product!”.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7