Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC2300, R7000P; WiFi/SSID not broadcasting, all lights on, all settings set to ON

DarciM
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC2300, R7000P; WiFi/SSID not broadcasting, all lights on, all settings set to ON

I purchased this router used (so that may admittedly be problem 1...). Netgear Nighthawk AC2300, R7000P. I have it for a small office in a large building with fiber internet so there are multiple other routers nearby and I have zero ability to manage or touch the actual internet connection. I've got an ethernet box in the wall that is plug and go. I don't need great signal strength and only plan on having my own laptop, phone, and tablet connected once I get this working. 

The router looks like it is functioning fine, and an ethernet connection works for a chromebook through a docking station. ALL necessary lights are on including the Wi-Fi and WPS buttons on the right hand side of the router itself. When I log-in to the router settings through the wired connection the dashboard home page shows the wireless is OFF with a yellow danger symbol. In both Basic and Advanced settings all boxes are checked for wireless broadcast and SSDI, everything set to on. I have tried toggling channel selections and smart connect is off. I've toggled multiple settings on and off a few times in a row with no change. The error remains and the WiFi signals never show up to other devices. All of my searches point back to pushing those physical buttons (which I have done) and checking the boxes for broadcast signals (which I have also done). I have done 5 factory resets in my efforts to manage the problem and during each have fully started over with router setup. Updated firmware to V1.3.3.140_10.1.75. Have attempted fixes with both a previous firmware and the update. No difference. Have also switched back and forth between it functioning as a Router and as an Access Point. No difference. What am I missing?!

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC2300, R7000P; WiFi/SSID not broadcasting, all lights on, all settings set to ON

Ya, seems like the radios went bad. Sorry about that. 
You have some options. 

Good Luck. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC2300, R7000P; WiFi/SSID not broadcasting, all lights on, all settings set to ON

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure your connecting the WAN port of the router to your host router while in AP mode.

Power OFF the router for 1 minute then back ON?

Does the wifi seem to work or have good status in router mode?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 12
DarciM
Aspirant

I have zero information about the modem since I am just one of the renters in this building. I don't believe there is any issue with it since the many other routers are functioning and I can see them listed as options on my devices. I don't have access to anything but my own wall port. I have never been able to get the WiFi to broadcast. Powering off and on does nothing.

I have not factory reset since the firmware update. I will try that next. 

Anything else?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure your connecting the WAN port of the router to your host router while in AP mode.

Power OFF the router for 1 minute then back ON?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 12
DarciM
Aspirant

The WiFi is not working in either mode. The lights are on. The settings are correct. And it has not broadcasted. As a router or as an access point. Based on the lights and settings, it looks like it SHOULD be working. But the error persists.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the reset button the back of the router for 10 seconds then release. Disconnect the router from the wall jack. Wire connect 1 PC or laptop to the back of the router. Walk thru the setup wizard with a web browser. I'd change the SSID name and PW during the setup to something unique and you can see on your wifi devices. After it's set up, check to see if the wifi is seen on any wifi device. 

Message 6 of 12
DarciM
Aspirant

Thank you for a walk-through with specific steps. I did those and even when on the "Congratulations! You can now connect to the internet!" page with the router's default Wi-Fi network settings there was still no broadcast of the 2.4 or 5 that any device could pick up. All router indicator lights are on and solid as they should be. After all set-up was complete, the dashboard page STILL shows the Wireless as "OFF" with a big yellow banner and danger symbol. The Basic and Advanced settings still show all checkboxes for broadcast as checked. I renamed the SSID and applied twice, nothing.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Last resort would be to update FW:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.3.3.142%20-%20Hot%20Fix

If this fails to get WiFi working, I would presume the wifi radios are bad. 

Couple of options,

Fully disable the wifi radios on this router and connect up another WiFi AP device or WiFi router in AP mode and use this as your new wifi signal. 

Replace this router with something new. 

Message 8 of 12
DarciM
Aspirant

Did the update. Still no dice. Thank you for your help. I hate thinking I ended up with a brick of bad radio but if there are no other mystery settings that would impact the signal, then I guess I'm out of luck.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, seems like the radios went bad. Sorry about that. 
You have some options. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 12
sigdet
Aspirant

The hidden wifi ssid is an obsolete security mechanism ,it is possible to obtain and find out the name in order to connect to them.Go to settings > wifi. There you will find all the available SSIDs of the Wi-Fi networks around you, and the SSID of the network to which you.

Message 11 of 12
DarciM
Aspirant

@sigdet wrote:

The hidden wifi ssid is an obsolete security mechanism ,it is possible to obtain and find out the name in order to connect to them.Go to settings > wifi. There you will find all the available SSIDs of the Wi-Fi networks around you, and the SSID of the network to which you.

The SSID is not hidden. I am aware of how to access both the SSID of the router and search for available wi-fi networks on devices. Please clarify your response if you intended to provide a suggestion beyond the basics of how to connect. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7