Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 WAN connection instability

tom_luft
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 WAN connection instability

HI,

my router randomly disconnects from the WAN in intervals ranging from 2-30 minutes for 5-30 seconds. My ISP provided me with a Technicolor TC 7200 modem, which is connected via a Cat5.e network cable.

My network usually consists of ~8 devices: 4 wired, 4 wireless.

I tried the original, latest firmware from netgear, tomato and DD-WRT, the connectivity issues are always the same (regardless of the connected device, wired/wireless). I already replaced all network cables in my setup - to no avail.

When I use the router as a simple access point (router and modem in the same subnet: 192.168.0.x, modem provides the IPs), the WAN connection is rock stable. The connectivity issues just appear when I use the router in router mode (modem: 192.168.0.x, dhcp-server disabled; router: 192.168.1.x, dhcp-server enabled).

Since I am not willing to use my router this way: do you have any suggestions what the matter could be?

I never had issues like that with my previous router, which was set up in a similar way.

Other things I already tried:

1) replace the router with a new one

2) change the dns-servers to different ones

3) change the dns-settings of my local clients from [router.ip] to [dns.ips], hence directly defining the dns-servers

4) contact netgear support (they suggested using the router in AP-mode)

5) disable TCP/IP v6

6) disable TCP/IP offload

Despite not being able to connect to various websites during a connection-blackout I can see DNS Client Events in Windows' event viewer with the event ID 1014, stating "Name resolution for the name XXX timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it would appear that there are compatibility issues between the Netgear and the Technicolor. Could you contact your ISP to see if they can provide an alternative model of modem?

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried changing the Technicolor to Bridged Mode?

http://en.librehat.com/blog/switch-upc-technicolor-tc7200-to-bridge-mode/

Note that setting a modem/router to Bridged Mode often means that the connected (Netgear) router needs to be configured with your ISP login details, so make sure you have a record of these before you begin.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, and in case it’s a low level compatibility issue, if you have access to an unmanaged switch try placing that between the modem and the router.

Message 2 of 8
tom_luft
Aspirant

I tried to switch the modem to bridge mode for the last few hours, it didn't work with any of the instructions I could find (including the one you provided).

The modem never responds to SNMP-commands and the hidden link to switch to bridge mode is unreachable.

Message 3 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried running the R7000 in AP mode with the modem operating as a router (with DHCP server enabled)?

Message 4 of 8
tom_luft
Aspirant

As I mentioned in the first post the WAN connection is rock stable in AP mode; I want to use the router in router mode for various reasons, however.
Message 5 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it would appear that there are compatibility issues between the Netgear and the Technicolor. Could you contact your ISP to see if they can provide an alternative model of modem?

Message 6 of 8
tom_luft
Aspirant

So I contacted my ISP and after some waiting time I received my new modem today. This model can be switched to bridged mode; this seems to have resolved the issue!

Thanks for all the help!

Message 7 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Excellent, I'm glad to see that your issues are resolved.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7