Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 -- WIRELESS speeds FASTER than wired speeds

ChrissyH
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 -- WIRELESS speeds FASTER than wired speeds

Weird problem I cannot figure out on my own - I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. 

All wired connections have a download speed of 10-11 Mbps. This includes my desktop computer, Xbox One, and a laptop I plugged in with an ethernet cable. I have tried 3 different cables and 3 different ports on the back of my router. This has been taking place for 3 days.

When I test speeds with the same devices seconds after doing the speed test with a wired connection, I get much faster results.

Xbox one - wired was 10.74 Mbps.  Wireless was 126 Mbps

Desktop - wired was 11.74 Mbps. Wireless was 51 Mbps

Laptop - wired was 11.25 Mbps. Wireless was 72 Mbps

My firmware is V1.0.8.34_1.2.15

I have rebooted my router a few times.

Do I need a new router? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Chrissy

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ChrissyH
Tutor

I was able to fix my problem by accident.

I was looking through these forums for people that had the same issue or something close to it and I saw someone said they had QoS checked off and when he clicked it off, the wired speed went back to normal (fast)

I checked, and my QoS box was unchecked, but I noticed on the screen there was a speed test button. I clicked it and it showed my speed was 104 Mbps even though minutes before that, my Ookla speed test on their site was 11 Mbps. Very very weird.

Anyway, you can try that and see if it works for you. To get there:

1. Go into your settings and login by typing in  192.168.1.1 in your browser window.

2. Under basic, click home

3. I had 6 boxes, one is called Attached Devices. It showed the number of my devices and also showed QoS: Off

Click on QoS: Off to go into QoS settings

4.  I made sure the enable QoS box was unchecked

5. I then clicked on the speed test button

6. Once finished, click on the green apply button

That was pretty much it. Hope it helps. I am still not sure how my settings became messed up in the first place.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
pcdoctorw
Aspirant

Check if your cables are at least 5e Ethernet cables. If the problem persist get a paper clip and reset your router to the factory settings.

Message 2 of 9
ChrissyH
Tutor

Thanks - I should have been more clear, but until 3 days ago, I was getting wired speeds of over 150 Mbps (CAT 6 cables)

I purchased another router, so I will try resetting with a paperclip to factory settings before I install the new one, but I don't think that will help. This happened out of the blue - no updates to router or any of my machines (Windows desktop, laptop, or Xbox) so I am guessing something crapped out in the router.

But why would the wired all be capping out at 11 Mbps instead of just not working at all if the router was broken, you know? SO STRANGE!

Ughh

Chrissy

Message 3 of 9
pskerry
Tutor

Have the same issue. I noticed it a few weeks ago. Will try to reset the router.

Pat

Message 4 of 9
ChrissyH
Tutor

I was able to fix my problem by accident.

I was looking through these forums for people that had the same issue or something close to it and I saw someone said they had QoS checked off and when he clicked it off, the wired speed went back to normal (fast)

I checked, and my QoS box was unchecked, but I noticed on the screen there was a speed test button. I clicked it and it showed my speed was 104 Mbps even though minutes before that, my Ookla speed test on their site was 11 Mbps. Very very weird.

Anyway, you can try that and see if it works for you. To get there:

1. Go into your settings and login by typing in  192.168.1.1 in your browser window.

2. Under basic, click home

3. I had 6 boxes, one is called Attached Devices. It showed the number of my devices and also showed QoS: Off

Click on QoS: Off to go into QoS settings

4.  I made sure the enable QoS box was unchecked

5. I then clicked on the speed test button

6. Once finished, click on the green apply button

That was pretty much it. Hope it helps. I am still not sure how my settings became messed up in the first place.

Message 5 of 9
pskerry
Tutor

ChrissyH,

I first tried a reset of the router. That did not correct the problem. Later I had read your message.

My QoS setting was off and the box unchecked. Ran the speed test button, after completion clicked on the apply button. The router rebooted and all my wired connections went from 15mb to 20mb down to 190mb to 210mb down.

Good Eye ChrissY, you can have the rest of the day off w/pay, Pat 

Thanks so much

Message 6 of 9
ChrissyH
Tutor

Hi pskerry

You are so welcome. Glad it worked for you! 

Now, about that pay you mentioned...   🙂

Have a great, fast downloading day!

Message 7 of 9
SillyMan
Aspirant

Hey I've been having similar issues. I just made a post about it but recently my wired connection has been horrible using QoS. I tried to dynamic QoS and it helped initially but now my upload is bad. Initially dynamic was working fine but now it's just horrible and went back to my advanced settings.  Looks like I'm just going to turn QoS completely off. It must be a recent firmware update that made it worse. 

Message 8 of 9
bhanlon
Initiate

WOW,  I can confrim that Chrissy's solution is indeed correct.   I turned off QOS and now my download speeds are what they should be when wired. 

This is VERY unfortunate and i'm hoping is caused by a firmware update.  The whole reason i bought this router was for the QOS features to use with gaming.  Now i cant use them.  It seems very strange that a QOS setting for upload throughput is affecting only download speeds when wired.  I hope this gets fixed soon in a firmware update.  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7