Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7500v2 constantly dropping wifi

Nighthawk12
Guide

Nighthawk R7500v2 constantly dropping wifi

I purchased the Nighthawk X4 AC2350 yesterday and so far it's been nothing but problems.  My wired connection is fine but my 2.4ghz connection is disconnecting about every 20 minutes.  I even downgraded the firmware to version 1.0.0.28 to see if it would help but it hasn't.  Any help is appreciated since I'm at my wit's end with this router.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Nighthawk12
Guide

Sorry for the late reply but I ended up returning the R7500. I purchased the R8000 instead and I've had no problems at all.  

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel?

Message 2 of 16
LeeH
Prodigy

Yep.  You are probably using channel 1 on the 2.4 GHz.  Try channels 6 or 11 and see if that helps.

Message 3 of 16
Nighthawk12
Guide

Thanks for the reply.  I'll experiment with the different channels when I get home and report back.  

Message 4 of 16
warbler
Guide

The new firmware for the R7500 V2 is 1.0.2.2. I have no problem with wifi either 2.4 or 5G.

Message 5 of 16
Nighthawk12
Guide

Switching channels yielded the same results. The 2.4 will still drop and eventually reconnect on channels 6 and 11.  I was on firmware version 1.0.2.2 when I first experienced these problems.

Message 6 of 16
netwrks
Master

@Nighthawk12 wrote:

Switching channels yielded the same results. The 2.4 will still drop and eventually reconnect on channels 6 and 11.  I was on firmware version 1.0.2.2 when I first experienced these problems.

You are resetting the router to factory default, each time you change firmware, correct?

Message 7 of 16
Nighthawk12
Guide

Yes, I reset to factory default.

Message 8 of 16
dabee08
Aspirant

I have a same router and I've been having same problem where mine disconnects every couple of hours.

I tried changing channels, disabling QOS, adjusting MTU, etc with no luck.

It's been little over a month since I bought this router and the it's a total dissatisfaction.

Been trying to get a hold of tech support for over an hour but the automated message keeps saying unable to complete the call.

Very dissapointed with the product and the company.

Message 9 of 16
TheEther
Guru

@Nighthawk12 wrote:

Yes, I reset to factory default.

Are the disconnections happening with one device or multiple devices?

How far away is the router from the device(s)?  Are there any intervening walls?  If so, what is the construction (e.g. concrete, drywall, brick)?

Check the signal level on your device(s).  There are free programs like vistumbler.netAcrylic Wi-Fi, and Airport Utility that can report signal levels.  Note, the Airport Utility looks like it's designed to be used only with Apple's Airport Express router, but it has a simple Wi-Fi scanner that you can enable in settings.  On a Mac, Option click the Wi-Fi icon on the top right to reveal detailed data about the Wi-Fi connection, or look at the Wi-Fi section under System Information, or run Wireless Diagnostics.

Message 10 of 16
netwrks
Master

Could be that the router (hardware, and,or, software) is just not ready for prime time yet. It's nice to have bleeding edge tech, but it comes at a price..

Message 11 of 16
satnav4
Aspirant

It's not user error or WiFi range. It is a problem with WMM implementation that many are experiencing. When WMM is off, speeds drop, but disconnections stop. When WMM is back on, WiFi speeds increase, but drops begin. It happens on the V1.0.0.28 and V1.0.2.2. Please fix the firmware.

Message 12 of 16
warbler
Guide

I actually have 2 of these routers, 1 is the main router the other is a bridge. I have good speed with AC but the wifi drops are very annoying to say the least. I am a very experienced network hobbyist. Running MOCA with Tivo and an Asus RT-66U as a repeater bridge.

Message 13 of 16
satnav4
Aspirant

I am also somewhat experienced with routers, running 8 WiFi cameras, all with reserved addresses and open ports for outside viewing. I also have a Plex server and a Ceton server ported for external viewing. I am running a series of Android sticks and boxes internally, as well as a Windows Media Server with Linksys, Ceton and Asus Nexus media extenders. All ran fine using my R7000 router. With the R7500 V2, I get drops of the WiFi cameras regularly with WMM implemented. It does not happen when WMM is off. The R7500 V2 has a bug in its WMM implementation with the last 2 firmwares, at least.

Message 14 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Everyone,

Can you verify if disabling QoS and traffic meter affects the connection?

If none of those are enabled, feel free to give me any feedback and I'll have our engineers look at this.

Message 15 of 16
Nighthawk12
Guide

Sorry for the late reply but I ended up returning the R7500. I purchased the R8000 instead and I've had no problems at all.  

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series