Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000P OpenVPN

landym
Initiate

Nighthawk R8000P OpenVPN

I am attempting to use the OpenVPN software from the router to connect remotely using a VPN.  I have turned off my local firewall and anti-virus software to remove that from the equation.  I am getting the error:

Wed Oct 31 10:01:20 2018 us=15196 read UDP: Unknown error (code=10054)

I am connecting from a Windows machine and this appears to be a connection reset message.  I tried to connect to my router remotely and it fails with a connection reset when I use HTTP.  If I use HTTPS, it works.  I think the same thing is happening to the VPN connection.  It is being reset instead of connecting.  Is there a forwarding port that needs to be set?  Is there another setting that needs to be cleared/set?  I am able to open port 3389 and remote desktop to my machine without any issues.  I just can't get the VPN software and configuration provided by the router to make a connection.  I have rebooted the router multiple times.  I have a dyndns.org entry and that is working.  I am at wits end.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
landym
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk R8000P OpenVPN

I have solved the issue.  I turned off remote management, but that did not seem to help.  I changed the VPN to use TCP for tap.  This did the trick and I am able to connect to my network.  I have not turned remote management on, so I can't eliminate it from being part of the solution.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
landym
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk R8000P OpenVPN

I have solved the issue.  I turned off remote management, but that did not seem to help.  I changed the VPN to use TCP for tap.  This did the trick and I am able to connect to my network.  I have not turned remote management on, so I can't eliminate it from being part of the solution.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7