Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Router AP Mode + Guest Network?

kaynebr1
Follower

Nighthawk Router AP Mode + Guest Network?

I'm reading different things all over Google and could use someone with experience to chime-in. Please.

I have two different model Nighthawk routers (R6700 and an X10). I know both have the ability to act in AP mode. When one acts as an AP can you still enable a guest network?

The X10 is on the second floor center of the house and the signal gets weak at one end. I want the AP router to act only as a Guest Network AP with no way to get to my network files connected to the main router (x10). Can this be achieved? Is there a better solution with this setup?

Thank you

Message 1 of 3

@kaynebr1 wrote:

I have two different model Nighthawk routers (R6700 and an X10). I know both have the ability to act in AP mode. When one acts as an AP can you still enable a guest network?

Which X10 would that be?

X10 is not a unique Netgear model number. Many devices come with the AC/AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the Model Number. And, if there is one, include the "V" bit to show the hardware version. If there is no V number, then you have V1.

Did you find this?

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It says that AP mode disables "Guest Network" regardless of the model.

But that is on the AP router. Do you mean that main router? That should still work. It does here, but with different hardware.

Just another user with time on their hands.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

The R9000 doesn't support GN while in AP mode. Most routers don't.

Could run the either router in router mode in a double NAT configuration if you need GN. 

@kaynebr1 wrote:

I'm reading different things all over Google and could use someone with experience to chime-in. Please.

The X10 is on the second floor center of the house and the signal gets weak at one end. I want the AP router to act only as a Guest Network AP with no way to get to my network files connected to the main router (x10). Can this be achieved? Is there a better solution with this setup?

Thank you

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series