Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 1GB wired connection only gets half of its download speeds -- PLEASE HELP

codeslinga
Initiate

Nighthawk X6 R8000 1GB wired connection only gets half of its download speeds -- PLEASE HELP

Hello,

I pay for a 400 MB/s data connection through Charter Spectrum and use CAT-7 cabling between the cable modem and my RX8000 router as well as from the router to my computer.  When I connect my computer directly to the cable modem and perform a speed test, I get an average of 450 MB/s download speeds 10 out of 10 times.  When I connect my RX8000 router to the cable modem and then connect my computer to one of the 1GB ports, I can run the same speed test another 10 times and never get download speeds higher than 254 MB/s - 260 MB/s.

My understanding was that the 1GB ports were a simple pass-thru mechanism -- the ISP-provided download speed is what the connected device should be able to detect, also.  That, however, is -NOT- the case.

I really, really need help, here.  Cabling issues are not the problem and no matter what I've tried, I simply cannot get past this issue.  I have also reset the modem to its factory configuration several times w/no improvement.  Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try?  The only other thing I can think of is trashing this frickin' expensive-a**ed modem in favor of something else that won't let me down the way this one has.

I'll take suggestions for replacement hardware, too.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Marcus

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
codeslinga
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 1GB wired connection only gets half of its download speeds -- PLEASE HELP

Hello!

I apologize for the length of time it's taken me to respond to your post! I really do appreciate your response and have performed most of the steps you suggested, for example:

- Factory reset of the router (no restoration from backup)

- Tested the router after the reset and the same behavior was displayed: The speed with a DIRECT connection to the cable modem yielded 458 MB/s but only 260 MB/s when connecting through the 1GB ports on the back of the router.

Once those results were confirmed and it was clear nothing had changed, the last configuration change I made turned out to be the one that solved all of my problems.

SOLUTION: I went to my service provider (Spectrum) and got a router from them. Then, I snatched that R8000 off of it's platform, stuck it in a box with the rest of the crap I donate (sometimes), and resolved myself to NEVER buy a single piece of Netgear equipment, again.

Since replacing the R8000, I've had ZERO problems with the 1GB ports on that new router from Spectrum and my average wireless speeds top 440 MB/s all day, any day. I get speeds no less than 150 MB/s from the farthest points in my home, too.

I'm one happy camper, now. The only thing I regret was spending $300.00+ for this POS router that Netgear abandons after that short tech support period expires (after purchase). I swear I believe the problem was introduced in a firmware update? That R8000 performed just like this new Spectrum router does prior to two or maybe three firmware updates ago? I dunno? It's not my problem any more.

Have a great day and thanks again for your willingness to assist!! Take care!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 1GB wired connection only gets half of its download speeds -- PLEASE HELP

what firmware version are you on?

What modem do you have? 

After your factory reset, did you test it without changing anything?

the other deal is make sure that qos, traffic monitoring, parental controls, and access controls are all disabled. If there were enabled, factory reset and do a clean install (not from a backup). make sure those aren't enabled. 

Message 2 of 3
codeslinga
Initiate

Hello!

I apologize for the length of time it's taken me to respond to your post! I really do appreciate your response and have performed most of the steps you suggested, for example:

- Factory reset of the router (no restoration from backup)

- Tested the router after the reset and the same behavior was displayed: The speed with a DIRECT connection to the cable modem yielded 458 MB/s but only 260 MB/s when connecting through the 1GB ports on the back of the router.

Once those results were confirmed and it was clear nothing had changed, the last configuration change I made turned out to be the one that solved all of my problems.

SOLUTION: I went to my service provider (Spectrum) and got a router from them. Then, I snatched that R8000 off of it's platform, stuck it in a box with the rest of the crap I donate (sometimes), and resolved myself to NEVER buy a single piece of Netgear equipment, again.

Since replacing the R8000, I've had ZERO problems with the 1GB ports on that new router from Spectrum and my average wireless speeds top 440 MB/s all day, any day. I get speeds no less than 150 MB/s from the farthest points in my home, too.

I'm one happy camper, now. The only thing I regret was spending $300.00+ for this POS router that Netgear abandons after that short tech support period expires (after purchase). I swear I believe the problem was introduced in a firmware update? That R8000 performed just like this new Spectrum router does prior to two or maybe three firmware updates ago? I dunno? It's not my problem any more.

Have a great day and thanks again for your willingness to assist!! Take care!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7