Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 - iPhone cannot connect to home network over OpenVPN

SinoDave
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 - iPhone cannot connect to home network over OpenVPN

Hi, all,

I managed to get my iPhone (6S, iOS 10.3.2) connected to my home VPN on my Nighthawk X6 R8000 using the stock firmware version 1.0.3.46_1.1.32, and I am able to connect to the router setup page at http://192.168.1.1, but I cannot access any of the web servers that I have running on the same subnet (192.168.1.x). I've tried both web browser and SSH (and ping requests come back timed out). The iPhone was provisioned an IP in the 192.168.254.x subnet...not sure if this is causing the problems. The phone is connecting via LTE, not another WiFi network to avoid router clashes.

I have made sure that the VPN advanced config has client access set for "all sites on the internet and home network," and I tried changing the LAN subnet mask to 255.255.0.0, but to no effect so I subsequently changed it back to 255.255.255.0 as per the default).

Does anyone have any ideas why I can't get a route to any other systems on the network?

Thanks in advance.

David

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
SinoDave
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - iPhone cannot connect to home network over OpenVPN

Follow up to this post...

Turns out it's some kind of server configuration error for my main Linux media server. I was able to connect from my phone to another web server on a different machine using an IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet, so I figure there must be something going on with the Linux server that doesn't allow connections from any other subnet except across a separate VPN tunnel. Kinda frustrating, but not really the router's problem (though I would still like the option to drop Nighthawk VPN users onto the same subnet as local WiFi and Ethernet connections...

Thanks for the help in trying to troubleshoot!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi SinoDave,

If you let the iPhone get a dynamic IP instead of setting 192.168.254.x subnet, will it work?

Message 2 of 4
SinoDave
Aspirant

Hi, James,

My phone is already set to get its IP address from the server, and I downloaded the OpenVPN files directly from the router, so there was no way to set up the subnet. I don't understand the logic of assigning VPN connections to a xxx.xxx.254.xxx subnet...I'd rather it just dropped me in with the rest of my LAN and wireless devices on the 192.162.1.xxx subnet.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 4
SinoDave
Aspirant

Follow up to this post...

Turns out it's some kind of server configuration error for my main Linux media server. I was able to connect from my phone to another web server on a different machine using an IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet, so I figure there must be something going on with the Linux server that doesn't allow connections from any other subnet except across a separate VPN tunnel. Kinda frustrating, but not really the router's problem (though I would still like the option to drop Nighthawk VPN users onto the same subnet as local WiFi and Ethernet connections...

Thanks for the help in trying to troubleshoot!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7