Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 with load balancer?

Seventhwinds
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 with load balancer?

Hello there, I have two different load balancers that are not in use in my home however I plan on picking up a second Internet connection so that I can make use of the load balancing to evenly distribute my bandwidth across multiple devices and I would like some advice if what I'm thinking is even possible.

What I'd like to do is use either my Asus RT-AC65R load balancer or TP-Link 470T+ with my Netgear R8800 Nighthawk while allowing the nighthawk to stay as the router and just use one of the others as a load balancer only.

I was reading up on DCHP Relay but neither of my balancers have that feature and I'm unsure if I can allow one of my load balancers to send the two Internet connections to my netgear so I can utilize it's better wifi and qos technology.

really unsure how to go about this.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Seventhwinds
Aspirant

I think I got my set up working with my TP-link 470T+

DCHP 192.168.1.1 on the TP
DCHP 192.168.1.2 on the netgear

Internet is run through the TP, and then sent to the netgear via lan cable and doing so allows my QOS settings to work which is what I wanted however the speed test won't work because it does not detect the wan so I'll just input that manually.

Now I just need that second connection here ugh July 5th is the install date.... 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
Seventhwinds
Aspirant

I have consolidated communications adsl 2+ at 25 / 2 and plan on setting up my secondary phone line as a 25 /2 connection as well due to bandwith limitations of my network.

Message 2 of 13
Seventhwinds
Aspirant

I was wondering if Netgear ProSafe FVS336G-300 Network Security/Firewall Appliance  would allow me to use dual wan load balancing with the NightHawk X6 R8000?

Message 3 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@Seventhwinds wrote:

Netgear ProSafe FVS336G-300 Network Security/Firewall Appliance

Probably yes - but all these Netgear ProSafe Network Security/Firewall Appliance are EoL.

Message 4 of 13
Seventhwinds
Aspirant

What do you mean by EOL?

I was thinking if I can't use my DCHP maybe it would allow me to use the R8000 for the qos and wireless or would that not be compatabile?

I suppose I could just do wireless access points with that load balancer.

Message 5 of 13
schumaku
Guru

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/security/utm-firewalls.aspx

"NETGEAR Inc. will exit from the ProSECURE business on January 1, 2017. To complete the full exit from the business, NETGEAR Inc. will no longer provide ProSECURE software support or subscription updates for any ProSECURE devices after December 31, 2016

NETGEAR Inc. will continue to honor valid warranty claims for all ProSECURE devices purchased from an authorized reseller"

Dead horses I'm afraid.  

Message 6 of 13
Seventhwinds
Aspirant

okay, any suggestions to a netgear dual wan for load balancing that's not eol?

Message 7 of 13
Seventhwinds
Aspirant

Thinking about the routers that I have, I found my TP-Link 470T+ load balancer, I've never used it and it besides testing dual wan with 4G LTE & DSL.

It worked great however the TP-link would have to be the DCHP.

I wonder if that would be the case if I used it with my netgear, use the TP-link as a DCHP / load blaancing router then send it off to the Netgear nighthawk for Quality of Service features since the 470T+ has really horrible qos to figure out lol it's not as easy on the brain

Message 8 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Gee, I would have made you a Netgear proposal of course. Some leading edge for xDSL bonding is available ie. from Viprinet

Message 9 of 13
Seventhwinds
Aspirant

That's pretty neat but I just need balancing, bonding might be a bit expensive.

What's the netgear solution you had? I'd love to stick with netgear

Message 10 of 13
William10a
Master

I have seen videos on youtube where people have use load a balancer with two or more isps and a single network from what I undersatnd their reasoning for doing it is like you said to sperate the band witdh load over multi isp's and they said they have a back isp connection if for some reason one goes down sounds like a good idea. Have not tryed it myself.

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@Seventhwinds wrote:

That's pretty neat but I just need balancing, bonding might be a bit expensive.

True bonding ie. of multiple DSL would require support by the ISP anyway. Even if you write "just balancing" - it's not as simple as it appears. Was overseas not so long ago, and massively struggled with accessing the Internet (Web applications), establish a VPN, from a hotel. Discovered that their balancing sent out the packets on random network connections, and (of course) my as well as several popular application firewalls denied and blocked the sessions, because the source IP changed randomly - for the very same TCP session, for the same UDP spource and destinaiton port.

Message 12 of 13
Seventhwinds
Aspirant

I think I got my set up working with my TP-link 470T+

DCHP 192.168.1.1 on the TP
DCHP 192.168.1.2 on the netgear

Internet is run through the TP, and then sent to the netgear via lan cable and doing so allows my QOS settings to work which is what I wanted however the speed test won't work because it does not detect the wan so I'll just input that manually.

Now I just need that second connection here ugh July 5th is the install date.... 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7