Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk r6700 Restarting Every Hour

NickSparr
Aspirant

Nighthawk r6700 Restarting Every Hour

I got this router almost a year ago. Worked great for about 6 months then at the end of last year started rebooting 1-2 times an hour. (Power light turn amber, other lights flicker, then it comes back on within about a minute and seemingly boots back up. I tried contacting Netgear as it was and still is under warranty, but they said I had to pay for help. At that point I hooked back up an old router I had and it's worked perfectly fine for 4 months. Finally, now since my warranty is almost up, I'd like to fix it one way or another as it was a $100+ dollar router that I got 6 months use out of.

Looking for tips. I have tried:

Firmware updates, factory reset, had my ISP run tests (not an issue on their end), have a brand new modem they provided... Anyone have this problem or have any suggestions? I'll try my best to provide any additional info anyone needs. Thank you!

Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk r6700 Restarting Every Hour

Have you checked the power supply? I've seen the wrong one get used as they're fairly generic and it cause routers to reboot once they get a load on them. 

Message 2 of 17
NickSparr
Aspirant

When I switched back to my old router for a while, I used the same power supply so it shouldn't be that if it worked fine with another router correct?

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

@NickSparr wrote:

When I switched back to my old router for a while, I used the same power supply so it shouldn't be that if it worked fine with another router correct?

"used the same power supply"? 

From the old router? From the new one? 

If the power supply has lower amperage, it might bootup and initially run fine and then when its put under load, crash because it can't supply enough amps to do so. 

Message 4 of 17
NickSparr
Aspirant

Apologies, the power supply that came with the r6700 so the new router. I guess it could possibly work fine with the old one but not support the new one? I can try to get my hands on a new one to try. 

Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

Just look at the specs on the power supply. 

As long as the voltage and polarity are the same, you can use other supplies. 

You might have one sitting around. Just make sure it has at least the same amps (if not more) and try it. 

What firmware is on the R6700

Message 6 of 17
NickSparr
Aspirant

I'll check the power supply. The firmware is v.1.0.4.128.

I did that update manually a few months back but did not fix the issue.

Message 7 of 17
Kitsap
Master

@NickSparr wrote:

I'll check the power supply. The firmware is v.1.0.4.128.

I did that update manually a few months back but did not fix the issue.

See attached from the user manual. 

There is also a chance the power adapter itself is bad or the receptacle/power strip where it is being connected.

Message 8 of 17
NickSparr
Aspirant

Attached are the specs of my current power supply that came with the r6700 router. Maybe the strip or wall port is bad? I can check on those, it would just be odd that the same power supply, strip, and port all worked fine with the old router. IMG_6912.jpeg 

Message 9 of 17
plemans
Guru

The V3 (that you have) is only a 2.5amp supply. But maybe its got issues. I'd look around and see if you have a matching one in your things. I wouldn't buy one (unless you can return it) because that might not be the issue

Message 10 of 17
NickSparr
Aspirant

Only one I got around is this one from the old router but assuming it won't work? If I do buy a new one, I'll make sure I can return it. IMG_6914.jpeg

Message 11 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@NickSparr wrote:

Only one I got around is this one from the old router but assuming it won't work? If I do buy a new one, I'll make sure I can return it. 

The R6700AX router does require a 12V 1.5A power supply as per the Tech Specs, p.145.

Without bigger load, no WAN or LAN port connected, I tend to assume it would boot on your spare Netgear 12V 1A power supply. The voltage might drop more on higher loads, like active Ethernet links - so unexpected reboots are predictable.

Message 12 of 17
plemans
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@NickSparr wrote:

Only one I got around is this one from the old router but assuming it won't work? If I do buy a new one, I'll make sure I can return it. 

The R6700AX router does require a 12V 1.5A power supply as per the Tech Specs, p.145.

Without bigger load, no WAN or LAN port connected, I tend to assume it would boot on your spare Netgear 12V 1A power supply. The voltage might drop more on higher loads, like active Ethernet links - so unexpected reboots are predictable.

Thats for the R6700AX. From the firmware version it looks like the R6700v3

Message 13 of 17
NickSparr
Aspirant

Yes, I have the R6700v3. So would this spare power supply be a bad test option to see if my actual current one is bad? 

Message 14 of 17
NickSparr
Aspirant

My co-worker told me it would be no good and suggested one from amazon that meets the specs. Just ordered so I'll test soon, hoping that is the issue. 

Message 15 of 17
NickSparr
Aspirant

Unfortunately, this did not fix the issue. Any other suggestions?

Message 16 of 17
plemans
Guru

If:

1. a new power supply didn't help

2. reinstalling the firmware and factory resetting didn't help. 

3. using stock settings didn't help

then it'd imply hardware-wise something is failing with it. You'd have to go through support for that

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7