Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk r8500 replacement

rob_dav
Tutor

Nighthawk r8500 replacement

I have a r8500 router that has started to drop out. I've had the unit since about 2016. I've had no problems till now. Im guessing it is about to die. Does anyone have a recommendation on a replacement unit. That is available in Australia.
Cheers
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

The R8500 is a pretty solid router. Before giving up on it, i'd try a couple things. 

1. try reinstalling the current firmware to it and  factory resetting it. Maybe something is corrupt in the firmware or settings. By reinstalling the firmware and clearing the settings, it can cover both problems. Just do a manual install and don't use a backup configuration

2. If that doesn't help, try downgrading the firmware a version or 2. the lastest firmware releases have been problematic on some devices. Maybe yours is one of those. 

Not ignoring your question about a new router but thats a pretty solid router. Unless you're paying for 1gig+ speeds, thats a solid router. 

Message 2 of 8
rob_dav
Tutor

Thank you for your input. I'll give it a try.
I have already done a factory reset and updated the firmware to no avail.
The unit is at least 6 years old and this problem has only started in the last month or so. Hence why I suspect the unit is on its way out and the issue is a hardware issue.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Updating the firmware isn't always the best option. there's been quite a run lately on "the latest firmware" causing issues on devices. 

Try downgrading a version or 2 and see if the performance picks back up. You might need to factory reset after downgrading. (and disable auto-updates)

Message 4 of 8
rob_dav
Tutor

The router was dropping out before the firmware was updated or factory reset.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

up to you on trying other firmwars. 

If you're looking for better than what you had, you gotta go to a pretty decent AX router to get better than the R8500.

The RAX78 is the base tri-band AX router. I've seen it on "renewed" on amazon for pretty reasonable. 

Are you looking for triband or moving back to dual band?

Or are you looking at moving to a mesh system?

Message 6 of 8
rob_dav
Tutor

I was looking for the same or better.
I bit the bullet and picked up a new RAX 200.
As the old unit was 6 years old and had no issues untill about a month ago.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

that'll be a step up!

Went full max it out with the RAX200. 

I have one and its a beast. I do a lot of data moving and I'm not even close to maxing its potential. 

I hope it works well for you!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7