Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not able to select the 2.4GHz network

ParSod
Aspirant

Not able to select the 2.4GHz network

I have SSID enabled both for the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz networks. Smart connect is disabled. Channel for 2.4 is set to 'auto'.

In the past I was able to select both the 2.4 and the 5.0 networks for my devices, but now only 5.0 is available.

This create issues when connecting devices only supporting 2.4.

I am using a Nighthawk R9000

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

@ParSod wrote:

Yes, the 2.4GHz led is illuminating.

I have done several factory resets using the reset botton on the back of the router. Pressing it until the font LED's started flashing. This also took me to reinstallation of the router. Everything is back to factory settings including the boxes checked for transmitting both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz SSID's. Smart Connect is disabled.

Now I have also tried your suggested process pressing the radio on/off switch some times, but still no 2.4GHz SSID transmitted.

Thank you very much for all your support on this issue Kitsap!

At least now you know.  Time for a replacement Wi-Fi router.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@ParSod wrote:

I have SSID enabled both for the 2.4GHz and the 5.0GHz networks. Smart connect is disabled. Channel for 2.4 is set to 'auto'.

In the past I was able to select both the 2.4 and the 5.0 networks for my devices, but now only 5.0 is available.

This create issues when connecting devices only supporting 2.4.

I am using a Nighthawk R9000

Select how, from what?

Are the SSIDs from the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands labeled differently?

Set the 2.4 GHz band channel to 11, 6, or 1.  The Auto option does not always interact nicely with various IoT devices.

Have you rebooted your router after making changes?

What is the brand name and model number of the modem/ONT connected upstream of the router?

Message 2 of 9
ParSod
Aspirant

Previously I was able to select either the 5.0 network or the 2.4 network under wifi setting on my computers, iPhone and iPad. Now I only have the 5.0 option. Other external devices which were connected to the 2.4 network have stopped working (weather station, cameras, printer). When trying to reinstall these devices they are not able to find any network. All other devices connected to the 5.0 network works perfectly fine including my Chromecast.

I will try chancing the channel.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 9
ParSod
Aspirant

I have tried changing the channel for the 2.4GHz band, but still not able to see or connect to this band. The 2.4 and 5.0 bands are named individually.

I have also done a factory reset which did not solve the issue. Could it simply be that the router is broken and no longer working on the 2.4 band?

Message 4 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@ParSod wrote:

I have tried changing the channel for the 2.4GHz band, but still not able to see or connect to this band. The 2.4 and 5.0 bands are named individually.

I have also done a factory reset which did not solve the issue. Could it simply be that the router is broken and no longer working on the 2.4 band?

Yes, that is a possibility.  The R9000 is too good and expensive a piece of equipment to not be extremely thorough in your testing before labeling it as broken.

Details are part of the being extremely thorough process.

Does the 2.4 GHz LED on the front panel illuminate when the router is running?

When you "performed a factory reset", did you use the recessed reset button on the back of the router?  Did you press and hold it until the front LEDs started to flash?  When the router reboots after the reset, did you let it run a few minutes and then repeat the process?

When the router is running, the second Wi-Fi LED in from the right side is also a manual radio on/off switch.  Press and hold for a few seconds then release.  Did you repeat this off/on process a couple of times several seconds apart?

You also have the option to install the Voxel third party firmware from here:  https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html.  Be sure and review the README section at the right side of the top menu bar.

When you have done the actions above and still cannot get a signal out of the 2.4 GHz radio, you can pronounce it broken.

Message 5 of 9
ParSod
Aspirant

I have done several factory resets using the reset botton on the back of the router. Pressing it until the font LED's started flashing. This also took me to reinstallation of the router. Everything is back to factory settings including the boxes checked for transmitting both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz SSID's. Smart Connect is disabled.

Now I have also tried your suggested process pressing the radio on/off switch some times, but still no 2.4GHz SSID transmitted.

Message 6 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@ParSod wrote:

At least now you know.  Time for a replacement Wi-Fi router.

Message 7 of 9
ParSod
Aspirant

The old router is now replaced with a mesh 6E solution. Everything is working perfectly and with better coverage and higher speed😀.

Thanks again for your support through this community!

Message 8 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@ParSod wrote:

The old router is now replaced with a mesh 6E solution. Everything is working perfectly and with better coverage and higher speed😀.

Thanks again for your support through this community!

Glad the replacement is working well.  It is just the nature of the beast for technology devices to fail over time.  A big part of what makes the world go around.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series