Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Packet loss between my PC and modem

sh1ro
Aspirant

Packet loss between my PC and modem

So I'm trying to figure out why I'm experiencing some pretty heavy packet loss within the past few days that seems to be affecting only my desktop PC. I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 Wi-Fi Router with DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, that is roughly 10 feet away from my desktop PC. My PC has an ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E motherboard with an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 adapter. Speedtest results average around 650Mbps down/25Mbps up. I'm not really sure what to do here. I have done a factory reset on my modem-router, updated my wifi driver, reset network settings on my PC.. can't think of anything else.

Here is a trace to a videogame server (Valve Matchmaking Server (Virginia srcds1155-iad2 #4) 162.254.192.147);tWyZb6l.png

cablecon.pngeventlog.png

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 11

A lot of questions about routers are generic. In this case you are asking about connection issues with a cable modem.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

My PC has an ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E motherboard with an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 adapter.

There have been driver issues with Intel's Wi-Fi 6 devices.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you see same loss with a ethernet connected PC to the back of the modem with ALL other devices disconnected and WiFi turned OFF on the modem to test? 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

@sh1ro wrote:

So I'm trying to figure out why I'm experiencing some pretty heavy packet loss within the past few days that seems to be affecting only my desktop PC. I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 Wi-Fi Router with DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, that is roughly 10 feet away from my desktop PC. My PC has an ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E motherboard with an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 adapter. Speedtest results average around 650Mbps down/25Mbps up. I'm not really sure what to do here. I have done a factory reset on my modem-router, updated my wifi driver, reset network settings on my PC.. can't think of anything else.

Here is a trace to a videogame server (Valve Matchmaking Server (Virginia srcds1155-iad2 #4) 162.254.192.147);tWyZb6l.png

Message 3 of 11
sh1ro
Aspirant

I haven’t had any issues before with the Intel Wi-Fi, so I’m not sure what to do here. I have tried multiple driver versions, including one that was released a few days ago, version 22.100.0.3.
Message 4 of 11
sh1ro
Aspirant

I don’t have a long enough ethernet cable to reach my PC, so I ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I went out and checked the cable from the modem to the outside cable. There are no visible issues that I could see, no splitters, etc. Xfinity was out before due to a complaint of low connection speed and they recommended that we purchase this modem router. Everything else was fine according to them.
Message 5 of 11
sh1ro
Aspirant

Update: I have peformed a test using an ethernet connection and the problem still exists. Reinstalled Windows as well.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What trace do you see with just 1 wired PC connected to the modem and with ALL other devices turned OFF and disconnected from the modem. Turn OFF the wifi radios on the modem as well. Use the pingplotter.com site to test. Do not get with a game server. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 7 of 11
sh1ro
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What trace do you see with just 1 wired PC connected to the modem and with ALL other devices turned OFF and disconnected from the modem. Turn OFF the wifi radios on the modem as well. Use the pingplotter.com site to test. Do not get with a game server. 

Out of curiosity, I plugged a brand new M1 Mac Mini into the modem/router using the ethernet cable and gave packetlosstest.com a shot. According to that site, there are zero dropped packets, but 44% were late (1321/2999). Average latency of 53, 6ms jitter. I can see that some packets had response times upwards of 177ms, while the best ones were 46ms. I turned off wifi radios prior to testing, ensuring all devices were disconnected. I also noticed that there is no known ISP service box from what I could see, as the coax cable that enters my home runs up the side of the house and is then suspended in the air, connecting to a utility pole. I tried another coax coupler in case that was the problem, but no change. I checked again for any splitters and did not find any, nor did I find any cable line issues after performing a thorough physical inspection. Confirmed that the coax cable up to the modem is a high quality RG6 cable, and did another one-minute power cycle on the modem. I think I am running out of ideas here.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.42.35 AM.png

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Certainly less that your first findings. 

What does pingplotter.com site trace result in with the wired PC? 

You are using CAT6 LAN cables between modem and PC? 

Message 9 of 11
sh1ro
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Certainly less that your first findings. 

What does pingplotter.com site trace result in with the wired PC? 

You are using CAT6 LAN cables between modem and PC? 

A pingplotter trace with my wired PC had essentially the same results except I was seeing packet loss at the first hop as well. The cable is a CAT6. Here is an updated result with the Mac. I cannot imagine that the 330ms time to the last hop is good.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.07.46 PM.png

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact your ISP have have them check the line and signal up to the modem. 

Might show them your results and see if they have any suggestions. 

You might try one of there modems as a short term rental to see if the problem continues or not. This could be telling. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7