Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 getting slow connection

elbow_patch
Aspirant

R6400v2 getting slow connection

Hey Community,

So have been having issues with my router system not achieving the same output as my modem...among many others it seems.  So far I think I've done all of the troubleshooting that I've seen recommended (factory resets, firmware updates, changing cables, changing location), none of which seems to be remedying the problem.

Currently running - 

Cable Modem : Netgear Nighthawk CM1150V (clocked via hardwire at 990+ mbps)

Wifi Router : AC1750 R6400v2 (clocked via hardwire at ~150-225 mbps)

Our internet package is contracted for 800+ mbps, so the output from the modem is actually really good (and super stable), however the same hardwire report for the router shows intermitten signal loss and much lower speeds.

Bought the modem earlier this year, so it would seem unlikely that it was hardware, but I'm pretty stumped at this point.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Matt

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

the R6400v2 is a pretty base model gigabit router. 

After your reset/firmware changes, did you do a new install or install using a backup?
if you installed from a backup, reset again and do a new install. 

Make sure in the install process to leave qos, access control, parental controls, and traffic monitoring all disabled. 

Those features disable ctf (cut through forwarding). CTF is needed for the R6400 to hit gigabit speeds. 

And I've seen old settings or even CTF not get re-enabled after disabling services. Its why we usually recommend the reset, new install on those devices 

Message 2 of 8
elbow_patch
Aspirant

If you were to recommend a new router altogether what do you think is the best on the market for at-home high speed use? Video conferencing and gaming would be main usage aside from streaming.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Well, we didn't really work on your currenty issue. 

As well as you didn't go over how big your home is, what its made from, how many devices you're connecting. 

So its tough to tell you whats best. 

A flagship router solution or a mesh solution. 

Message 4 of 8
elbow_patch
Aspirant

When I did factory reset it was installed fresh, not from a back up, and all those functions you mentioned remain off. Was more just curious what your opinion was on higher functioning routers in general, since one of the first things you mentioned was that this one is fairly basic.

Our home is wood, built in the 30’s, and is approx 1,200 Sq ft. We typically have 2 phones, 1 lap top, and one iPad taking up space on the band, but we also have an Alexa, fire stick, and Xbox connected but those wouldn’t be used simultaneously.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I like the concept of flagship routers but is the performance worth what you pay? 

Depends on your situation. 

You don't have a ton of devices that are using a ton of bandwidth so is the cost/benefit there for you? A bit doubtful. 

Would it be worth checkingg into a triband mesh system? Possibly. Houses built in the 30's tended to be made with plaster lathe/brick/adobe and those materials do a great job of blocking wifi. this can really make decent coverage a struggle. 

How is your current coverage with the R6400? Does it cover the whole home? If so, you could go with a single router solution like the RAX50/80/120. If it doesn't, then I'd look into mesh setups. 

Message 6 of 8
elbow_patch
Aspirant

Sometimes the connection in the upstairs can be a little spotty, but not un-workable. Maybe that would guide me to a mesh system over triband?

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'm a fan of mesh systems. Just because they allow better coverage.

they're not going to have the same peak speed as a single router solution.

But in my experience, having 200mbps everywhere is better than just fast speeds by the router. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series