Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700

kcsummer
Aspirant

R6700

I have a new Apple iPad device that I was able to connect thru my router but I had to reset the iPad and start over. But now since the reset it can't connect to wifi. I can see my wifi name but it can't log on. And now 2 other devices (2 Kindle readers) that used to connect can no longer access my wifi account.

So I have my smart phone, my Fire Tablet and my Apple iMac desktop that connect to wifi. 3 devices connect and 3 dont connect. How can it work for some but not all. . And the iPad was able to connect thru my wifi the first time before I reset it back to factory settings but now it wont connect. It sees the wifi account but never completes the connection it just stays in a loop not connecting.

So I contacted Apple and they were able to at least activate the iPad basics but would never complete the connection. So Apple support says the iPad is working properly.

So I have an iPad and 2 Kindle readers that can't connect to wifi.

So WHY do my 3 other devices connect but the new iPad cannot and both Kindles that I've had for years can no longer connect to wifi to download new books but we're working a week ago when I downloaded another book.
Message 1 of 16

@kcsummer wrote:

So WHY do my 3 other devices connect but the new iPad cannot and both Kindles that I've had for years can no longer connect to wifi to download new books but we're working a week ago when I downloaded another book.

Who knows without a bit more detail? But when some things work as expected, the suspicion usually falls on those that are playing up.

What firmware version do you have on the R6700 device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

It might also be worth reading this:

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

Thanks for responding.   I don't know how to find out what kind of firmware I have on my router.

I just changed internet providers and I do not know if the installer put a router behind a modem.   I will try to contact my provider and get more information.

There is a red light now on top of the modem but not always is it red.    Its the fourth from the last light.

I do not know how to get information about lan ports or anything else.   I haven't had any problem with my router until recently - the problem did not start till I changed internet providers so maybe its something about how its set up.

Technology has passed me by - I'm retired and don't keep up on such issues.

Maybe the internet provider can tell me make and model number of their equipment.   I only asked for internet service but they sent me a bill for television access which I disputed as I never ordered it.   So maybe there is extra equipment. 

I'm probably out of luck because I'm not smart enough to figure out the answers to your questions but I appreciate you sharing information even if I don't know what to do with it.

This is a very small town where I just moved and there isn't even a grocery  store so there are no computer-related businesses or any  kind of business other than a bank and a gas station.

Sorry I have no useful information.

Message 3 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

I think the only hope is to buy a new router and then I will have some support from Netgear for a little while anyway but my income is limited so I'm not sure I can.

I rely on the internet to communicate because of my hearing deficit that makes using the phone very frustrating and unproductive.

At one time I knew how to download updates but that was a long time ago.

Message 4 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

I wouldn't be having this problem perhaps if I hadn't gotten the iPad thru assistive technologies which is a program for hearing impaired and other disabilities.   Now the iPad that I got from them is no help at all because I can't connect and now I can't download books to read on my Kindle and that's about all there is to do here.  I wish I never got the iPad.

Message 5 of 16
wcalifas
Prodigy

I would first try to power off the router and power it back on and see if that fixes it. Another thing to do is do a hard reset by pressing the reset pinhole for 30 seconds and see if that fixes things.

Message 6 of 16

@kcsummer wrote:

I think the only hope is to buy a new router and then I will have some support from Netgear for a little while anyway but my income is limited so I'm not sure I can.

It would be cheaper to do a bit of homework to fix your existing device.

There should be a label on the thing that gets the Internet to you.

You could start by telling people which Internet service provider (ISP) is causing you this grief.

I would lay money on the ISP "giving" you a box that has a router built in. (Most do.) And that is going to get in the way of your R6700.

Message 7 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

The label on Giant Communications modem is Arris Model CM9200
CM MAX F8790A1DAF19
Message 8 of 16

@kcsummer wrote:
The label on Giant Communications modem is Arris Model CM9200

Simple cable modem, with no router to complicate the issue.

You said earlier:

There is a red light now on top of the modem but not always is it red. Its the fourth from the last light.

Is that the Arris? From what I can see the layout doesn't look like that.

ARRIS Consumer Care - CM9200

If those lights are on the R6700, "fourth from the last" is confusing. Which last? Left? Right?

Fourth from Left is 5 GHz wifi. Fourth from Right is USB. Neither has a red option, nor do they have much to do with your Internet connection.

Did you try the advice from @wcalifas. That is a classic troubleshooting move.

PS I am "retired", nearer 80 than 70, but my brain still functions, up to a point, and I see that as no reason not to try to work out where things are going wrong.

Message 9 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

Thanks for your input. So the CM9200 has no router if I understand correctly?

The Netgear router had the lights on top. Looking down on top of router the red light was on the right side of router.

I did as suggested and did a hard reset of both the Arris Modem and the Netgear router.

Afterward the Netgear70 network is no longer visible (whereas it had been visible but just wasn't working). I also had Network named Netgear 75 but it disappeared prior to my starting this thread. The Netgear 6700 Nighthawk router now only registered one light (the first on left side) which was red. I tried reset button but it didn't change from just one red light so I disconnected it. Now whereas I had been able to see and connect Fire Tablet to Netgear 70 router it's not able to connect either.

Should I reconnect Netgear router and try to set up new Network using my iMac desktop?
Message 10 of 16

@kcsummer wrote:

The Netgear router had the lights on top. Looking down on top of router the red light was on the right side of router.

The manual tells you what the LEDs are for.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Troubleshoot With the LEDs.

The Netgear 6700 Nighthawk router now only registered one light (the first on left side) which was red.

Is that the Power LED? Ir the Internet LED?

Again, look at the manual. Neither of those should be "Red".

"Amber" is a bad sign.

After the router boots up and connects to the Internet through the mode, they should be white.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 11 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

I'm not sure where I am supposed to download the Genie app.   It doesn't appear to be on Apple store.

In your response you refer me to manual.   What manual?  It could be right here in front of my face but I'm not seeing it.

I'm unsure how the modem, router and Apple iMac are to be wired for the internet.   It got changed yesterday and not sure how to get it back?

I'm rather. desperate to get this up and running properly IF POSSIBLE as I have several projects I need to complete one of which was due yesterday.

Any additional guidance is appreciated.   I'm a proficient and productive writer but when it comes to putting stuff together whether its a bathroom vanity or working with computers to set them up, I basically suck.   Thanks, at any rate, for assistance given or pleaded for?

Message 12 of 16

@kcsummer wrote:

In your response you refer me to manual.   What manual?  It could be right here in front of my face but I'm not seeing it.

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Nighthawk R6700 | AC1750 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

User Manual

Installation Guide

I'm unsure how the modem, router and Apple iMac are to be wired for the internet. 

That is kind of important.

The Modem is the thing that is wired to the outside world and the Internet.

The Router is wired to the Modem.

The iMac is wired (or wifi'd) to the router.

Work on it a step at a time.

Message 13 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

The Genie I guess is supposed to be available for download from Netgear but when I attempted to do so I got this message:

OOPS We couldn't find the page you're looking for.    Let's get you back to somewhere you'd rather be.

But then it didn't get me anywhere else whether I'd rather be there or not?

Oops! We couldn’t find the page you're looking for.

Let’s Oops! We couldn’t find the page you're looking for.

Message 14 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

OMG all those diagrams and arrows and charts send my dyslexic mind into a downward spiral and might as well be written in Greek.

I would like to say that as far as my former Networks "NETGEAR70" and "NETGEAR75" that quit functioning and then disappeared -- that after the hard reset of router and modem at some point they have REAPPEARED.  Somewhat.  They still don't work but they are listed.  Do you think that all the elements are still there as when they were originally set up?

The yellow cable in the diagram doesn't fit into any opening where the disagram shows it to be on the Netgear Router.

There's a blue cable coming from the router but its not plugged in anywhere, don't know where its supposed to go if anywhere.

I am totally clueless.  A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing and I definitely fall into the category of a VERY LITTLE BIT of knowledge.

In my defense, I would say it wasn't always so.    But with retirement I quit following all that technology stuff and what's left is an empty shell of my former self in the marketplace.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.   Somebody else said that, not me, I'm just agreeing.  Except in certain environments there's not much choice and that's where I am.  I moved from a large metro area to a dead and/or dying town of 500 people because in the midst of the "pandemic" it was the only place I could find and afford.   BAD MISTAKE because now I think I'm afflicted with "Wasting Away" Disease.  Which matters not to my Netgear Router.  Just an explanation or defense after having FALLEN from grace in the world of business.

Here, alone, as I am in this dried up excuse for a town (where you can buy a gallon of gas, and a soft drink in your choice of paper or plastic cup and that's about it.   I feel hopelessly unable so I'm sure you have other important things to do.  Thank you for your help.

Message 15 of 16
kcsummer
Aspirant

Apple Store says the Net Genie is designed for the iPad and mine doesn't work because it can't connect to the internet. Must be an example of CATCH 22.   And anyway about the Net Genie - here's what Apple has to say:

The item you’ve requested is not currently available in the U.S. store.

I hate Apple.

If I take the middle cable out of the back of the modem and put it into the back of the Apple Desktop then the desktop still works.

If I take it out of the Desktop and put it into the Router then NOTHING WORKS.

So I guess I should be grateful the desktop still works and leave well enough alone because if that goes then I will be isolated with no means of communication other than smoke signals.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series