Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900P - No longer emails log files

Kendal857
Aspirant

R6900P - No longer emails log files

Several months ago the weekly router log files stopped weekly transmission. Logged into "www.routerlogin.net" & get "connection is not secure" warning from Firefox. how do I load certificate or enable Firefox to allow email to send?

Message 1 of 10
Kendal857
Aspirant

Re: R6900P - No longer emails log files

Current running Firmware Version V1.3.2.134_10.1.66

Message "Connection is not secure" when connected to "www.routerlogin.net"

see screenshot please.

Found instructions for adding security certificate but can't find the links that will enable me to do this:

NETGEAR Support ( attr(href) )

I get a security warning in my browser when I try to log in to my NETGEAR or Orbi router; what do I do?

1. Launch Firefox and visit www.routerlogin.net ( attr(href) ) or www.orbilogin.net ( attr(href) ).
    A security warning displays.
  2. Click Advanced > View Certificate.
  3. Select Details > Export.
  4. Navigate to a convenient location and click Save.
  5. Navigate to the folder where you saved the certificate and double-click the file.
  6. Click Install Certificate.
    An installation window displays.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Make sure that the Permanently store this exception option is selected.
  9. Click Browse > Trusted Root Certification Authorities.
  10. Click OK > Next > Finish.
  11. Follow the prompts to install the certificate.

Note: If you enter your router’s IP address instead of www.routerlogin.net ( attr(href) ) or www.orbilogin.net ( attr(href) ), Mozilla Firefox still displays a warning message because the certificate you installed only corresponds to the domain name.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can ignore the certificate warnings in the browser. The connection is only between the browser and the routers web page. You can use HTTP and access the routers web page. 

If you changed nothing on the router in regards to emails being sent, then possible there is a problem at the Email service provider end. If you use Google they stopped supporting open email accounts with out two factor authenication and you have to use a Google generated PW with the google email account on the router. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

Message 3 of 10
Kendal857
Aspirant

I appreciate your fast response !

Yes I understand that this is a local connection between the browser and the router (R6900P) & yes I do access the router tools page after I log in as admin (http://www.routerlogin.net/start.htm) but when I utilize the commands: Advanced; Administration; Logs; Send Log

the log refreshes but an email is never received. I am using my ISP's (Optimum) email (so no issue with anything Gmail) and have no issue using this browser to log into the optimum web mail URL.

Something is interfering with the instruction to send the log email. What I see is that Firefox is flagging this connection as "Connection not secure" & I am working on a hunch that because their is no security certificate on file for this site that Firefox is blocking some aspects of this connection to protect me. I do not find the links that Netgear identifies in the FAQ I cited previously that would allow me to find, save & load this certificate to clear the Firefox issue & then this hopefully would allow the email log to transmit.

Message 4 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@Kendal857 wrote:

Yes I understand that this is a local connection between the browser and the router (R6900P) & yes I do access the router tools page after I log in as admin (http://www.routerlogin.net/start.htm) but when I utilize the commands: Advanced; Administration; Logs; Send Log

the log refreshes but an email is never received. I am using my ISP's (Optimum) email (so no issue with anything Gmail) and have no issue using this browser to log into the optimum web mail URL.

Something is interfering with the instruction to send the log email. What I see is that Firefox is flagging this connection as "Connection not secure" & I am working on a hunch that because their is no security certificate on file for this site that Firefox is blocking some aspects of this connection to protect me. I do not find the links that Netgear identifies in the FAQ I cited previously that would allow me to find, save & load this certificate to clear the Firefox issue & then this hopefully would allow the email log to transmit.

On the subject of your router sending logs via e-mail.  Firefox has nothing to do with your router sending an e-mail.

On the Advanced -> Security -> E-mail page you have several options for configuring the outgoing e-mail.  Have you selected the appropriate port number for the SMTP outgoing e-mail server?

Do you know if your ISP mail server requires authentication?

See attached.

Message 5 of 10

@Kitsap wrote:

Do you know if your ISP mail server requires authentication?

This is important and a question that @Kendal857 needs to investigate,

Discussion of email logs here over the years has shown that ISPs have different ways of handling SMTP services. Some make you jump through all manner of hoops to use SMTP.  And they can change their systems without warning customers.

Worse, it doesn't seem to consistent throughout Netgear's range. SMTP settings that works on one router don't work on different models

One strategy that some of us have adopted is to find a free service that is known to work.

I find that outlook.com works. (But I do have a paid subscription.) You can then send to any address you like. I have my own email domain.

@Kitsap wrote:

On the subject of your router sending logs via e-mail.  Firefox has nothing to do with your router sending an e-mail.

True, but Firefox may be the cause of security warnings when you try to login to the router. Browsers are getting increasingly picky over what they will let us do. That routerlogin.net is a local address goes nowhere near the Internet doesn't seem to have occurred to the geniuses who write these warnings.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@Kendal857 wrote:

Yes I understand that this is a local connection between the browser and the router (R6900P) & yes I do access the router tools page after I log in as admin (http://www.routerlogin.net/start.htm) but when I utilize the commands: Advanced; Administration; Logs; Send Log the log refreshes but an email is never received. <What is the log reporting on the routers web page when you select Send Log? After you send the log go back and look at the log entries to see what error maybe seen here. The router should report a error if something happened or success. The error should point you in the right direction.

Message 7 of 10
Kendal857
Aspirant

Attempted to use yahoo email. No email received. This is what the log reports:

[email failed] (#AUTH005) Too many bad auth attempts., Monday, Oct 10,2022 12:39:12

and yes yahoo email does require SSL & Authentication

Since Netgear Router is not an email app yahoo will not allow me to create an app specific password.

repeated with ISP email. Again no email received and log reports:

[email failed] wrong state for AUTH command, Monday, Oct 10,2022 12:47:47

no idea why this response was generated and what the work around is.

Message 8 of 10
Kendal857
Aspirant

Both yahoo & ISP email require Authnetication

confirmed that correct port number for outgoing was selected

router log reports different error message for each

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So the user account and password is not working right after being send to the email services. Too many means the email services have stopped responding or blocking since the user account and password have been passed incorrectly to the email services. They only allow so many bad passes then they start blocking. Means the email account and password configuration is incorrect. You'll need to check with the email services support on what they require you to use on the routers email config page. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series