Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6900P random disconnect

KSdomer
Aspirant

R6900P random disconnect

I have been having the same issue since the day I got the R6900P which is that it randomly drops and then reconnects. In this world of working from home, having to wait until it cycles through when you are mid sentence is not acceptable.

I have been having the same issue since I got it and customer service had be reboot it which worked until it didn't. I was away for a couple weeks and have just been dealing with it and didn't realize it is only supported for a couple months so now I have this annoying problem that never resolved because I didn't complain again soon enough.

And the kicker...as I was submitting this the first time, I got disconnected.
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Does the internet LED turn amber when this happens? 

Anything on the router LEDs that show any indications? 

Do both wired and wireless devices get disconnected? 

Can you access the routers web page at all at 192.168.1.1 when this happens?

Message 2 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

Hopefully these answer the questions:

What Firmware version is currently loaded? v1.3.2.134

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Spectrum EU2251

Does the internet LED turn amber when this happens? Unknown - will look at next time

Anything on the router LEDs that show any indications? Unknown - will look at next time. I don't know that I have a baseline for what the other LEDs look like on a normal basis so I will have to look at it now and record it so I can compare.

Do both wired and wireless devices get disconnected? Both wired and wireless 

Can you access the routers web page at all at 192.168.1.1 when this happens? I haven't tried. I only ever try to access via the mobile app and am not able to access them that way when it disconnects

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

Message 4 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

Yes, I did it this morning before I posted this and have had 5 disconnects since. I also had one 15 mins ago and looked at the LEDs and nothing showed out of the ordinary.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try a factory reset on the router. Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute as well then back ON. Then setup from scratch on the router. 

Message 6 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

I've done that as well but that was a couple months ago. It didn't help at all. I can try again but it's a huge PIA as I then have to go through all of the resetting of naming, passwords, etc. so unless it seems like that will be different than last time, it's my last resort.

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

You might have yoru ISP check out the signal line up to the ISP Modem...

Message 8 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

Thank you for the tip - I will do that and reset after my meetings are all complete. 

I did have the ISP come out and check both the speed and stability. They were out for several hours and it was fully stable the entire time so I expect the issues I'm having are comign from the Nighthawk. 

If it helps, I have found more disconnects when I'm on the 5Ghz band than the 2Ghz band. It's not fully stable on the 2Ghz but better, only drastically slower. And for reference, my laptop is literally 6 feet away from the router with direct line of sight.

Message 9 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

I wasn't able to back up my settings but finally just factory reset and dealt with it. I did so this morning and had another dropout during a call just 30 minutes later so that didn't work (again).
Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you have the 5Ghz radio configured for after the reset? 

Auto channels or manual? 

Is Beamforming, WMM, 20/40Mhz Coexistance enabled or disabled?

Would be good to know if this happens accross two or more devices while connected on 5Ghz. 

Message 11 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

First, let me go back to what I should have started with in the beginning. Thank you.

I have been so frustrated with the lack of support by Netgear, I was ready to just eat the loss (and I'm as cheap as they come) and never buy another Netgear product again. And that would also extend to the company and stores I support as CIO. You have talked me off the ledgers and it it's appreciated.

To answer your questions:

How do you have the 5Ghz radio configured for after the reset? Manual (assuming that is to say Smart Connect is off). I turned it on yesterday when I saw that setting and that exacerbated the issue so I turned it back off and did not turn it on after the reset today.

Is Beamforming, WMM, 20/40Mhz Coexistance enabled or disabled? I'm not sure what that is or how to check.
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so your only connecting at 2.4Ghz with your wireless device? 

What channels are you using on 2.4Ghz? 

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings I believe...

Message 13 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

I had been doing everything via the mobile app because the login page wasn't working before on my PC but that finally worked so thank you for sharing where to look for Beamforming as I still would not have been able to find it otherwise.

Implicit Beamforming is checked as enabled.

I am generally manually choosing 5Ghz vs. the 2.4 Ghz simply because I have been on MS Teams calls and my wife is also on Zoom calls at the same time so I was finding the 2.4 Ghz channel to be limiting our abilities to both have them running and not get the "your connection is unstable" notice on either platform.

Channel for 2.4 Ghz shows "Auto"

Channel for 5 Ghz shows "153"

That's well over my ski tips to know what it should be - those are just what has defaulted to.

And to answer an earlier question that I missed, we have had it happen on multiple devices on both 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz.

Message 14 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

Nothing else to try?
Message 15 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

Should I assume nothing else to try and go with my original thought of buying something else and tossing this?

Message 16 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

Well, I had been hopeful in the beginning that things might be different but ultimately the Netgear is now a $130 paperweight as it has been replaced and that will be my last Netgear product. 

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

YOu might try changing channels to manual 11 on 2.4Ghz and channel 48 on 5Ghz and see. 

Be sure WMM is enabled on the router as well. 

Message 18 of 20
KSdomer
Aspirant

It's too late at this point. I bought a different router and it is up and running. The constant battle with it, the frustration that customer support is so short from Netgear even on an issue I had tried to resolve before that time came (and inability to contact them outside of that to explain it), and needing to be up and running more quickly made me go with a TP-Link and suck up the loss.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements