Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 not starting

ghost_hand
Aspirant

R7000 not starting

One day I wanted to set my R7000 as acess point, so I reset the R7000. But I accidentally pressed the reset button while the router started just one second. Now the R7000 won't boot and everytime when I started the router, it stays at the status which the power led, the internet led, port 1 led are in dim orange light, ports 2, 3, 4 leds are in light orange led. On the other hand, the wifi led and usb port 2 (I haven't connected anything to the router) are in white led. I have tried all solutions metioned online (tftp/30-30-30), all are useless.

***This R7000 router was bought at the time it was introduced to the public.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Lots of things can go wrong with tftp. its sensitive to timings. As well as how you're using it. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

another thing to check is the power supply. If you have an older device or different device with the same exact voltage and polarity (you can have more amps but not less), try that one. 

Message 2 of 18
ghost_hand
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestions. However, I think that my R7000 is bricked and I have tried all the methods even with the nmrpflash and the tftp, it still doesn't unbrick.

Message 3 of 18

@ghost_hand wrote:

Now the R7000 won't boot and everytime when I started the router, it stays at the status which the power led, the internet led, port 1 led are in dim orange light, ports 2, 3, 4 leds are in light orange led.

The power LED is not white?

Message 4 of 18

@ghost_hand wrote:

....I have tried all the methods even with the nmrpflash and the tftp, it still doesn't unbrick.

These are not simple processes. You have provided too little detail for anyone to begin to guess where things may be going wrong.

You have to get everything right. It may take several attempts. And you have to pay careful attention to the messages that you see as the process happens.

Did you watch the video that @plemans linked to?

Message 5 of 18
ghost_hand
Aspirant

Yes, everytime when I power on the R7000, the power led is dim orange.

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different power supply with same voltage and amps. 

@ghost_hand wrote:

Yes, everytime when I power on the R7000, the power led is dim orange.

Message 7 of 18
ghost_hand
Aspirant

Yes, sorry if I give too less information. As I said, I have followed and tried many methods including the ones suggested above. Nevertheless, I really don't know why my R7000 won't give any response and stay remains the status with 
Power LED - dim orange
Internet - dim orange
USB port 2 - dim white (but nothing connected to the port)
LAN port 1 - bright orange (LAN cable connected)

LAN port 2, 3, 4 - half orange half white

I tried to communicate to the router by using command and ping -t 192.168.1.1.
(I don't know if I could follow instructions for unbricking R7000P for my R7000)
https://www.flash2hack.com/?p=393#C3

On this website, it says that the reply should be like "Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100". 

But mine was:

"Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64"

I have tried everything said on this website even the Tftpd64 but nothing responded.

Message 8 of 18
ghost_hand
Aspirant

Okay, I'll try it. Current power supply I am using for my R7000 is original since I bought R7000.

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 18
ghost_hand
Aspirant

I have tried another power supply and could supply
12V 4.5A
15V 4.5A
16V 4.5A
18V 4.5A
19V 4.5A
20V 4A
24V 4A

So I set all Volts except 12V, but it still remains at the status which I have described above.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 11 of 18

@ghost_hand wrote:

So I set all Volts except 12V, but it still remains at the status which I have described above.

I don't know what that means, but what you need is 12V and at least 3.5A.

15V might not cause damage, but 24V is way over the top.

Message 12 of 18

@ghost_hand wrote:

(I don't know if I could follow instructions for unbricking R7000P for my R7000)

The model does not matter. You can use the same "unbrick" process on any router.

But you must use the firmware for your model. The R7000 and R7000P are not the same hardware and need different firmware.

@ghost_hand wrote:

USB port 2 - dim white (but nothing connected to the port)

That's not good. Unless this is light bleeding through from another LED, there should be nothing showing on the USB port with nothing plugged in.

Message 13 of 18
plemans
Guru

@ghost_hand wrote:
I have tried another power supply and could supply
12V 4.5A
15V 4.5A
16V 4.5A
18V 4.5A
19V 4.5A
20V 4A
24V 4A

If it wasn't borked before, it probably is now. You can have higher amperage when you replace power supplies, but changing voltages is a good way to fry a device. Like @michaelkenward said, you might have been fine at the 15V as there's bit of power variation/regulation around that 12v range.  But the 24v wasn't advisable. 

Message 14 of 18
ghost_hand
Aspirant

Well, I know it is highly not recommended to give too much power especially exceed too much. So, most of the time I just keep it at 15V. Maybe it is really borked now. However, I still think that my R7000 has bricked at the beginning of my post because no matter I use any methods, it just doesn't boot the firmware and stay in the status I have described above (at least I can't hear any cpu loading sound).

Message 15 of 18
ghost_hand
Aspirant

I'll try to unbrick it later again. Will it work if I download and put the correct firmware into my usb and plug it into the usb port on the R7000? As I think that I have really tried all methods to unbrick the R7000, non of the methods work.

Message 16 of 18
plemans
Guru

No. You wouldn't be able to put the firmware on a usb. It has to be pushed from the ethernet interface. 

Message 17 of 18
ghost_hand
Aspirant

However, before I have tried to ping or communicate my R7000 using my pc using ethernet cable, at last nothing happened.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7