Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 slow wifi connection

BBMD
Follower

R7000 slow wifi connection

I have an R7000 in AP mode connected by Cat6 cable to a ISP router with 1Gbps service.  When I connect to the ISP router, wifi speeds are 200-300Mbps.  Plugging the cat6 cable that comes from the ISP router to the R7000 into my laptop, I get 400-500Mbps.  When I connect to the 2.4Ghz WIFI channel on the R7000, I get about 50Mbps and the 5GHz channel I get about 90Mbps.  It appears the R7000 is choking the WIFI connections.  Any suggestions how I can get higher WIFI speeds on my R7000?

Message 1 of 3
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7000 slow wifi connection

@BBMD wrote:

I have an R7000 in AP mode connected by Cat6 cable to a ISP router with 1Gbps service.  When I connect to the ISP router, wifi speeds are 200-300Mbps.  Plugging the cat6 cable that comes from the ISP router to the R7000 into my laptop, I get 400-500Mbps.  When I connect to the 2.4Ghz WIFI channel on the R7000, I get about 50Mbps and the 5GHz channel I get about 90Mbps.  It appears the R7000 is choking the WIFI connections.  Any suggestions how I can get higher WIFI speeds on my R7000?

Most of the time, Wi-Fi throughput is limited by the device you are using to connect to the Wi-Fi signal.  Since you are using your R7000 as a wired access point, most of the throughput limiting features on the R7000 are disabled.

Do you have the most recent firmware installed on your R7000?  It is best to check for updates and install updates manually.  Go to the Download section at the top of this page to check on updates.

For basic setup of your R7000, the following is recommended

Smart Connect should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup

Dynamic QOS should be disabled?  Under Quality of Service.

Traffic Meter should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Traffic Meter

Access Control should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Security -> Access Control

Is IPv6 enabled?  If your ISP supports it, it should be enabled.  Under Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6

Is the 2.4 GHz channel selection on Auto?  Try manual channels 1, 6, 11.

Is the 5 GHz channel selection on Auto?  Try channel 48.

Many of the above settings will be grayed out due to your being in access point mode.  It does not hurt to check they anyway.

In reality, the design of your R7000 is very long in the tooth.  Most likely the Wi-Fi from the ISP router is significantly newer.

Some good background information on Wi-Fi is available here: https://www.wiisfi.com/

Review sections 1 through 3 to start.  The remainder is good reference material.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 slow wifi connection

Might be worth checking the wan port statistics to ensure its connecting at gigabit speeds. 

The 90mbps on 5ghz makes me suspicious. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7