Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 speedcap Xbox Series X over ethernet (Google Fiber)

IronGold
Aspirant

R7000 speedcap Xbox Series X over ethernet (Google Fiber)

Hello All,

Looking for some help. 

I've recently switched to Google Fiber and have run into an issue with the Xbox series X. 

Its speed seems to be capped at ~150MB down when connected through the router over ethernet. 

Troubleshooting steps:

• Xbox connected directly to the ONT (bypassing the router): reads ~850MB down, consistently
    • this leads me to believe that it's not an xbox/services problem as I've seen mentioned in other discussions
  • Desktop computer, connected to the router by ethernet: reads ~800MB down
    • Router can provide ~gigabit speeds
  • Tested all 4 ports on router with desktop: consistent ~800MB down
    • not a port issue
  • Tested just Xbox connected to router (no other devices) with wifi turned off: ~150MB down
    • reduce bandwidth impact
  • All cables Cat 5e and verified good (test ~1gig)
  • Testing speeds with speedtest.net & Xbox built-in network speedtest (respectively)

Equipment info: 

• R7000 gigabit router - FW v1.0.11.136
    • QoS, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled
    • IPv6 enabled (auto detect -> DHCP)
    • lights all indicate gigabit traffic
  • Xbox Series X
  • Google Fiber ONT

Any help is much appreciated!

Message 1 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7000 speedcap Xbox Series X over ethernet (Google Fiber)

Congratulations on a well-documented and thorough post.

In the user interface under the Advanced Tab -> Internet Port -> Show Statistics it will show your individual port status.  Each of your ports should show 1000M/Full.  Do they?

You have made many hardware configuration and connection changes.  After you made the changes, did you power down your entire network and restart it in sequence?  By power down, I mean pull the power cord on each device.  Restarting in sequence would be to power up the ONT and give it ample time to connect and stabilize.  Followed by your router and give it ample time to connect and stabilize.  Then your X box, power up and stabilize before testing.

Communication protocols between devices are established when they are first powered up and connected.  After connection changes if you do not restart the devices, some of the protocols from the previously connected device can still be in place and not work appropriately.

Message 2 of 8

@Kitsap wrote:

Communication protocols between devices are established when they are first powered up and connected.  After connection changes if you do not restart the devices, some of the protocols from the previously connected device can still be in place and not work appropriately.

That is also one reason why it can help to reset a router when you change the Internet service.

If nothing else, go into the router's Internet settings and take it through the setup wizard.

Message 3 of 8
IronGold
Aspirant

Congratulations on a well-documented and thorough post.

Thank you! I promise I did look for a solution before posting.

In the user interface under the Advanced Tab -> Internet Port -> Show Statistics it will show your individual port status.  Each of your ports should show 1000M/Full.  Do they?

They Do: 

• LAN1 = Xbox
  • LAN2 = Desktop

IronGold_0-1690553631921.png

After you made the changes, did you power down your entire network and restart it in sequence? 

I repeated this step just in case. But I'm seeing the same results (desktop ~700M down, Xbox ~130M down)

I had performed a factory reset of the router when we were setting the system up post Fiber install as well. 

I assume that'll revert the firmware version if I do it again, and It's annoying to reset everything. But I'm willing to try. 

Message 4 of 8

The Xbox is a constant source of issues around here. It is sometimes down to the settings on the Xbox itself.

Here's one search that you might not have come across:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – xbox nat

Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

What is the brand name and model number of your ONT?

For consistency, recommend you use the Ookla stand alone installable test application on your desktop.  It removes the web browser from the data path.  Available from the play stores.

I am not familiar with the X box system, are there drivers and operating system updates available?  The same goes for the X box internal throughput test.

When directly connected to your ONT, the X box should receive an external WAN IP address from your ISP.  When directly connected to your router, the X box will receive an internal LAN IP address from the router.  If there is a way within the X box system to check the IP address, this would be something to verify.  Does it have both IPv4 and IPv6?

When the X box is directly connected to your ONT, it is forced to use the DNS from your ISP.  In your router configuration, do you force traffic through any public DNS?

You indicate your router configuration enables IPv6.  There are several options for internet connection type.  Do you use DHCP or something else?

When your desktop is connected to your router and you have restarted your network in sequence, does your desktop computer receive an IPv6 address?

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the device connected on LAN4? 

Has Armor, Access Controls, Circle or Traffic Meter ever been enabled on the router? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@IronGold wrote:

Hello All,

Looking for some help. 

I've recently switched to Google Fiber and have run into an issue with the Xbox series X. 

Its speed seems to be capped at ~150MB down when connected through the router over ethernet. 

Troubleshooting steps:

• Xbox connected directly to the ONT (bypassing the router): reads ~850MB down, consistently
    • this leads me to believe that it's not an xbox/services problem as I've seen mentioned in other discussions
  • Desktop computer, connected to the router by ethernet: reads ~800MB down
    • Router can provide ~gigabit speeds
  • Tested all 4 ports on router with desktop: consistent ~800MB down
    • not a port issue
  • Tested just Xbox connected to router (no other devices) with wifi turned off: ~150MB down
    • reduce bandwidth impact
  • All cables Cat 5e and verified good (test ~1gig)
  • Testing speeds with speedtest.net & Xbox built-in network speedtest (respectively)

Equipment info: 

• R7000 gigabit router - FW v1.0.11.136
    • QoS, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled
    • IPv6 enabled (auto detect -> DHCP)
    • lights all indicate gigabit traffic
  • Xbox Series X
  • Google Fiber ONT

Any help is much appreciated!

Message 7 of 8
Kitsap
Master

I had performed a factory reset of the router when we were setting the system up post Fiber install as well. 

I assume that'll revert the firmware version if I do it again, and It's annoying to reset everything. But I'm willing to try. 

Missed this before,  No, a firmware (factory) default reset does not change the version of the firmware installed.  The  firmware version is the same after the reset as before.  If you try to import a previously saved configuration file, it often imports the problem/issue you are trying to resolve.  Best to do a from scratch configuration setup after a default reset.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7