Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P dropping connections (cell phone related)

Liamjs
Follower

R7000P dropping connections (cell phone related)

I have an R7000P (firmware version V1.3.1.64_10.1.36) that has a weird problem seemingly linked to my cell phone (a Samsung A71). 

About 10% of the time, if I turn off Wi-Fi on the phone or go out of range of the router, the router will drop the wireless connection of every connected device and none of them can reconnect until the router is hard rebooted. The router remains on, the SSID is still broadcast and there's no indication on the LEDs that there's any sort of problem. There are two other cell phones that regularly connect to the router and neither of those cause the same problem, but I regularly use that phone on three other networks and have no problem with it at all. It's so frustrating because I'm bricking my home network about once or twice a week just by leaving the house.

Don't think I've really changed much on the router in terms of settings, so will be configured as it would be out of the box for the most part. There are no guest networks and Smart Connect is enabled.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000P dropping connections (cell phone related)

Maybe something to contact Samsung support about as seems other devices are not having this problem.

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

Message 2 of 3

Re: R7000P dropping connections (cell phone related)

@Liamjs wrote:

About 10% of the time, if I turn off Wi-Fi on the phone or go out of range of the router, the router will drop the wireless connection of every connected device and none of them can reconnect until the router is hard rebooted.

So, turning off the wifi on the Samsung mobile somehow disables the wifi from the router?

That's odd. Hard to blame the Samsung for that. Unless you have some setting on the Nighthawk App on the thing that causes this.

@Liamjs wrote:

I have an R7000P (firmware version V1.3.1.64_10.1.36)

The first thing to do would be to update the firmware on the R7000P. Yours is ancient. From 2019.

R7000P Firmware Version 1.3.3.154 - NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7