Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readyshare not visible on multiple PC's

ralfyguy
Aspirant

R7500v2: Readyshare not visible on multiple PC's

I have a Nighthawk X4 and two Windows 10 computers. One is ethernet and the other WiFi. I have a USB stick connected to the router. Both have the router show up under network in Windows explorer as long as one of the computers is turned off. When both computers are turned on, only one shows the router. And it is the one that was turned on first.
Why cannot both see the router simultaneously?

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
ralfyguy
Aspirant

Re: R7500v2: Readyshare not visible on multiple PC's

I got it working. I don't know exactly which part did it, but I did the reset and did an in place OS non destructive overwrite on both machines.
Yet the Nighthawk still only shows up on one machine at a time under Windows Network.
At least I got the two machines to talk to each other again.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 25

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ralfyguy What's the exact model number and version of your NETGEAR router?

Can you further explain on what you're trying to achieve?

What do you mean by cannot see the router simultaneously?

Are you trying to access the router on both computers at the same time?

Message 2 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

It is a R7500v2. If both computers are off and I start one of them, then the router share shows up in Windows Explorer under Network. When I turn on the other computer, it will not show the same way like it does in the first one.
If I turn both computers off and then start the second one again, it will show up correctly. Then turning in the first one again, and it will not show on the first one like it did before.
I can also have both turned on, and turning one if them off, and the router share will then show up on the one that is still running.
To make it short, it looks like the router will allow only one computer to see it on the network at a time.
Both computers can see the router share show up under network, but only if one of them isn't running.
Both computers can see each other, but only either one if them can see the router share.
For example on computer 1 in the network list it shows computer 1 and computer 2 and the router share.
On computer 2 it only shows computer 2 and computer 1, but the router share is missing.
It depends on which computer was started first. The one that was started first is the one that shows the router share.
Message 3 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

I have a USB stick with videos plugged into the router and want both computers to see that share.
Message 4 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried mapping the drive on both computers?

I have mapped mine no problem and was able to access the external hard drive on both computers at the same time.

Message 5 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

Mapping as a drive works. I just don't understand why it only shows up on the workgroup network one at a time.
Message 6 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you saying that after mapping it disconnects?

Can you post a screenshot?

I have mapped the drives and both still shows the external drives no problem.

I can access it both at the same time too.

I'm not experiencing the problem you describe.

Have you tried restarting the computer?

Message 7 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

No, the mapped drive is not disconnecting on either.
What I meant is thr visibility on the Windows network, like other PC's. The Nighthawk is only showing up as a network place on one machine at a time, whichever was started first.
Message 8 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you post a screenshot?

Message 9 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

I'm not at home right now. But if you go to your windows Explorer, in the left hand pane there is the category called Network. On both machines it lists the local computer and the other machine.
Only one of the machines lists the router there, depending on which one was started first.
Message 10 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is that under Network Infrastructure?

I see mine showing on both computers.

Message 11 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

I got it showing there on both as well.
I am talking about the left hand pane, to the left of that. Where it shows This PC and underneath Network. Underneath that it shows the R7500v2. But only on one machine not on the other.
The machine that git started up first is the one that shows it. Never both.
Message 12 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Show us a screenshot when you get the chance.

Anyhow, you get the mapped drives working no problems, correct?

Message 13 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

Yes, mapped drives are working. But now all networking stopped working. The computers can see each other but cannot access. It always says oath not found. I reinstalled the NIC's several times, rebooted both at least 30 times. Checked all the file sharing options, reinstalled windows client, changed users, reinstalled TCIP v4, checked registry settings. No networking works anymore. Both computers have internet just fine, but will not share files with each other. I rebooted the router a dozen times as well. And made sure SMB is enabled. It just quit working altogether
Does the Nighthawk block Microsoft Networking?
Message 14 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

BTW, this all started when upgrading from a R6100 I had previously. Never had an issue like that.
Message 15 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

The X4 really puts the R6100 to shame in wireless coverage, but the rest of it is a nightmare.
Message 16 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's very odd.

The router does not preventing network sharing.

Can you try to reflash the firmware and reset it following the steps below?

Once done, reconfigure the router.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.
2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.
3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

Message 17 of 25
VE6CGX
Master

It could be a access right issue(read permit).

Message 18 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

I will try that reset.

What access right should I check?
Message 19 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

Oh, and another thing happened: I have ES File Explorer installed on my phone and I used to access my computer via wifi SMB for a long time. This also ceased to work. In fact running a scan for networks does not even find both computers anymore now. This is ridiculous.
I did check that the SMB v1 is installed on both machines. And SMB 2&3 are active as well. In fact actually nothing was changed, except the router.
Message 20 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

It almost seems that the router isn't actually doing any routing. The only thing that works is internet access.
Message 21 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

The computers are visible to each other and pinging each other works. They both can access the USB stick via network share, except only one at a time. Whichever was started first.
And both computers have it mapped as network drive just fine. But no network sharing between computers.
Message 22 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

I have been disabling and rernabling the network sharing several times in both machines. Reinstalled the NIC's. Checked TCP settings and reinstalled the Microsoft Client. It never makes a difference. Visible, but no access. Not even a prompt for password credentials if set to password enabled sharing
Message 23 of 25
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try the reset?

You may also try to isolate this by accessing files just between these 2 computers.

Connect these 2 computers directly to each other and see if you'll be able to network them together.

Message 24 of 25
ralfyguy
Aspirant

Re: R7500v2: Readyshare not visible on multiple PC's

I got it working. I don't know exactly which part did it, but I did the reset and did an in place OS non destructive overwrite on both machines.
Yet the Nighthawk still only shows up on one machine at a time under Windows Network.
At least I got the two machines to talk to each other again.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7