Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7900P 5GHz-2 not available and then sometimes resets to an unsecure, default named, network

Jiggsman
Follower

R7900P 5GHz-2 not available and then sometimes resets to an unsecure, default named, network

Hello friends,

I searched and saw some similar issues on these forums, and others, but did not see a fix. 
Firmware version: V1.4.1.64_1.3.25 
I recently updated to this firmware and, because I'm dumb, I didn't note what the previous version I was using was numbered.

I can say, on the previous firmware, the 5G-2 would occasionally have issues completely going away. I'd reset the router, log-in, disable and enable, change channels and usualy get it back. The current situation concerns me with the continued 5G-2 lack of functionality/dissapearing/failing (even if you manually search, the network isn't there) AND now its coming up as an unsecured network. When the unsecured network is available, you can connnect, it works great and .... is completely unsecured. When you log into the router, its believes the 5G-2 is fuctioning, with the proper settings, including the name, and security. None of those details are reality. 

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: R7900P 5GHz-2 not available and then sometimes resets to an unsecure, default named, network

Try reinstalling the firmware over a hardwired connection. once reinstalled, factory reset and reinstall the router. don't use a backup configuration during install. See if that helps. 

Message 2 of 3
mmd2006
Tutor

Re: R7900P 5GHz-2 not available and then sometimes resets to an unsecure, default named, network

Also check if Smart Connect is turned on every time you load firmware.  It will TRY to combine the 2.4GHz and one of the 5GHz bands as a auto-switching pair.  The intent is to connect your device to the best band.  I don't think it works very well and reccomend turning it off.

My router was dropping the wifi every few minutes (or less!!!).  While it came back quickly, the lack of continuity made connecting and reconnecting smart devices difficult.  I tried lots of stuff such as ensuring I have the latest update, moving to uncluttered channels, changing Fragmentation Length and CTS/RTS Threshold, trying to prevent IP address conflicts by reserving addresses, etc.  What seems to have fixed it is turning off Smart Connect.  Apparently, its not too smart.and even disrupts the Guest wifi.

A serious firmware update is needed to fix it.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7