Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 after reset won't display login

RBurr
Aspirant

R8000 after reset won't display login

The reset button has been held for 10+ seconds and the web page for the ipaddress times out. MNU_access_setRecovery_index.htm

Message 1 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R8000 after reset won't display login

Be sure to clear all browser caches before entering 192.168.1.1

Try a different browser as well.

Message 2 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

Sorry, 192.168.1.1 is the address being used by the Sonicwall Firewall on this network. The Netgear R8000 is an additional device to provide WiFi to the existing network. It was installed by someone else and we do not have the user name and password, so it was reset using the paper clip button. Can this be returned to the former address of 192.168.1.32 that was in use prior to the reset?

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Well that would be the cause. You can have two devices using same IP address of 192.168.1.1. The WAN port on the R8000 will auto change to a 10.x IP address to avoid this conflict. Try 10.0.0.1 to access the R8000 web page? 

If not, You may need to factory reset the R8000 and while it resets, disconnect it from the host router. After the reset completes, connect one wired PC to the back of the R8000 and walk thru the setup wizard and select manual setup. Complete the setup and once you get to the home page on the R8000, change the default 192.168.1.1 IP address for the router to 192.168.0.1, then connect the WAN port of the router to the host router. Use 192.168.0.1 as the web page log in access for the R8000. 

Or configure the R8000 as a wired AP:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 4 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

Thanks.

Can I use this "You may need to factory reset the R8000 and while it resets, disconnect it from the host router. After the reset completes, connect one wired PC to the back of the R8000 and walk thru the setup wizard and select manual setup. Complete the setup"

.... then switch to the AP setup instructions you sent?

Message 5 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 6 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

Have done the 10 second reset on the r8000 with a laptop cabled to it (tried both Intenet and Lan port 1) and browsed to 192.168.1.1, but it just times out. Is there another method?

Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

And this is with out the R8000 connected to anything on it's WAN port? 

Be sure your wired PC networking is set to automatic obtain IP addressing. 

Try a different PC or laptop to connect to it. 

Message 8 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

i ran ipconfig /renew ether* and it returned 10.0.0.1 as the gateway in port 1
Did I misunderstand and get plugged in the wrong port?

Message 9 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

The Internet port released to an APIPA address and would not renew.

An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Message 10 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you not access 10.0.0.1 at all? 

Need to disconnect the router from the WAN port. Then Factory reset and then try 192.168.1.1.

Message 11 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

My clients in Alaska went into a meeting. I will have to continue this beginning again tomorrow morning. I work Central time, and they work Alaska time, so they won't arrive to setup the WiFi hotspot to get access to the laptop until after 11 am my time.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Message 12 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

The R8000 was disconnected from all cables and reset with the paperclip for 15 seconds. When the cable was reattached to the laptop and 192.168.1.1 was requested in the browser, it just timed out.

This was done twice.

Is there maybe some other step we can take to re-establish wifi on this network?

Message 14 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Last resort would be to try a 30-30-30 reset on the router with nothing connected. 

Message 15 of 27

@RBurr wrote:

Sorry, 192.168.1.1 is the address being used by the Sonicwall Firewall on this network. The Netgear R8000 is an additional device to provide WiFi to the existing network. It was installed by someone else and we do not have the user name and password, so it was reset using the paper clip button. Can this be returned to the former address of 192.168.1.32 that was in use prior to the reset?

You may need to explain your network in a bit more detail.

What's the layout?

>> Internet >> Sonicwall Firewall >> R8000

Is there a modem in there somewhere?

Message 16 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

Hello,

Yes, thanks. The intended layout is:
Internet > Starlink satellite in bypass mode > Sonicwall > Ethernet workstations and Nighthawk in AP mode > TP-Link Deco Extender

What we currently are trying to use to access the Nighthawk for configuration as:
Internet > phone hot spot> laptop > ethernet cable > Nightwawk (being reset)

With the phone hotspot, I'm able to get a remote session using N-able's Take Control to try to access the Nighthawk with the browser at 192.168.1.1. following a paperclip reset....but the browser does not display a page from the Nighthawk at that address. The laptop does not get an Ethernet IP address from the Nighthawk (it does generate an APIPA address).

The location is using Starlink as it is on the remote Alaskan island of Kodiak.

My company did not provide or install the Nighthawk (nor the TP-Link), and had no credentials, but we need to get them communicating after an unintended Starlink reset.

I hope this helps. 

Message 17 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

Please explain a 30-30-30?

Message 18 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 19 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

Thanks, the instructions have been forwarded to the owners. I appreciate the assistance.

Message 20 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

Unfortunately, 192.168.1.1 still does not load following the 30-30-30 reset.
Are there any further checks we can perform before replacing the unit?

Message 21 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

That would be the last resort. Seems like the unit is really broke. Hoped the 30-30-30 would have recovered it. 

One could maybe find a used one online somewhere. I found my R8000 used on Amazon a couple of years ago. Was impress it seems as it had barely been used. Got it for cheap. Or places like ebay or shopgoodwill. 

Otherwise, maybe something newer generation to consider, RAX something. 

Good Luck.

Message 22 of 27
RBurr
Aspirant

This community forum has been great. I really appreciate the time you've spent with us and the knowledge you bring. It's really good!

Message 23 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Hoping you will find something good out there.

😉

Message 24 of 27

@RBurr wrote:

Please explain a 30-30-30?

It doesn't apply to many devices – some even say it is dangerous – but it gets a bit tedious trying to point that out to people determined not to listen.

Try it at your own risk:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

It isn't advised on newer routers.

Message 25 of 27
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7