Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 & EX7700 - Devices and Basic ??'s

Wraith_SRT
Aspirant

R8000 & EX7700 - Devices and Basic ??'s

Hey all...I have an R8000 Nighthawk router and recently added an EX7700 to extend my WiFi into the back yard.  I have the EX7700 hardwired in my detached garage (about 60' away from the house) and I believe, due to the signal meters on my wifi camera's, that its working fine.  Here's where I have questions...going to preface these questions as I am not an IT/Network guy as well as the two question (I don't believe) have nothing to do with each other...just trying to get some knowledge!

1. I have the R8000 and EX7700 both in my Nighthawk app.  The R8000 show me all the attached devices, including the EX7700.  The "Network Map" icon has where I can select either to review...when I select the EX7700 and go to attached/connected devices, it does not show any there.  I understand the principal of extending my wifi SSID and connection, but is this the case to where none of the devices connected to my network will not show up as an "attached/connected" device in my EX7700 listings?  Not a big deal as I said, everything seems to be fine...my OCD is just questioning.
  2. With my R8000...I have approximately (44) WiFi devices attached/connected throughout both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands (10 more devices wired in via a Netgear 16 port 1GB switch).  I've moved as many devices that I can over to the 5Ghz...but am having problems with keeping the 2.4 devices connected as it seems like I'm out of "spots".  If I reboot, it's basically who can get connected first, gets a spot.  Seems to me that this 1-1/2 year old Nighthawk tri-band AC3200 router should "allow" more devices - anyone know "what gives"??

If the R8000 is the "issue", is there another router you recommend, outside of going to the Orbi setup as coverage is not really my problem these days?  TIA

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the EX7700?

And on the R8000?

The r8000 should allow up to 32 devices per band. Not sure how man you have on there with the 2.4ghz devices though

Message 2 of 6
Wraith_SRT
Aspirant

R8000 = v1.0.4.68...I will say, after the last few firmware updates, services have tanked quite a bit.

EX7700 = v1.0.0.206

Currently, I have (28) devices on 2.4, (8) devices on 5-1 band & (10) devices on 5-2 band.  Then I have (10) devices wired.  I just don't get it...I should be way below the limitations of this device.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

the r8000 should support that many devices by itself. maybe its the issue. some of the r8000's struggled with the firmware that has armor integrated. 

Try installing version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware to the r8000 over a hardwired connection. Once it reboots, do a factory reset and a clean install. Then disable auto-updates. 

Try that out. 

Message 4 of 6
Wraith_SRT
Aspirant

Well, not sure what happened, but now I cannot even open the R8000 main menu/control panel. I loaded the rollback FW and let it reboot, then factory reset as you suggested and waited for it to fire back up...now, nothing. Hardwired laptop is stating that the 192.168.1.1 didn't send any data. Totally stuck. Any suggestions??
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

what are the led's on the front doing? and the power light? 

If you rebooted/reset to soon after installing the firrmwarem the firmware might not have been fully loaded and it could have corrupted it. If that's the case, you'd need to use tftp or nmrpflash to recover it. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7