Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P Nighthawk X6S gives no flashing power light during firmware upgrade process

CharlieOH
Tutor

R8000P Nighthawk X6S gives no flashing power light during firmware upgrade process

Netgear R8000P Nighthawk X6S AC 4000 WiFi Router

Firmware update of my R8000P using the GUI fails.  When I try to use the TFTP client the instructions say to:

8. Turn your router off for 10 seconds.

9. Turn your router back on.

10. Wait for the Power LED to light orange and start flashing.

11. When the Power LED is flashing, click Put in Tftpd64 to initiate the firmware upload.

The power LED turns orange after power off and back on, but never flashes.  It stays solid orange and then changes to solid blue, never having flashed.

Suggestions?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000P Nighthawk X6S gives no flashing power light during firmware upgrade process

Shooties. The .50 version. Thats what I get for not asking at the start.

that one had issues where users weren't able to update firmware. For the longest time, they had to exchange them with netgear as the firmware caused a lock. A user found a way around it that you can read about here: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/R8000P-V1-4-1-50-Update-workaround/m-p...

The standard tftp/nmrpflash won't work. You need the extra few steps to get it to work right. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000P Nighthawk X6S gives no flashing power light during firmware upgrade process

if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 10

@plemans wrote:

if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Yes.

And persevere with TFTP. It isn't easy.

This may help:

Netgear Blinking Power LED Firmware Fix/Re-Flash Step by Step Guide (WiFi Extenders and Router) - Yo...

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward is correct. It can take several tries to get it to work right. I've had better luck with nmrpflash than tftp but I've used both successfully

Message 4 of 10
CharlieOH
Tutor

The problem isn't that the power light is flashing.  The problem is that it never flashes as the directions say it should.  Please read my initial message carefully.

Message 5 of 10
CharlieOH
Tutor

The nmrpflash looks very very challenging.  I am not that sophisticated a user.  If it requires the power light to flash as the other options do, I'm right back where I started anyway.

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

You're stuck anyway. You really can't mess it up more than it already is (sadly).

I'd try a few times. it looks daunting but isn't bad once you try it. 

there's a youtube video that walks you through it. Worth a shot. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxQu3wtpFYo

Message 7 of 10

@CharlieOH wrote:

The problem isn't that the power light is flashing. 

Kind of misses the point.

The power LED on your router is not as it should be. Different routers have different ways of showing that.

If TFTP doesn't get it flashing first time around, try again. And use Windows TFTP rather than the TFTPd64 mentioned in your first message.

In your case, there is another problem. Your first message says:

The power LED turns orange after power off and back on, but never flashes. It stays solid orange and then changes to solid blue, never having flashed.

Solid Blue doesn't seem to be a part of the repertoire for the R8000P. People have confused blue with white before now. If it is white, then the firmware may not be bust.

If it really is blue, then I'd try a different power supply. That's another possible cause of wonky power LEDs.

Message 8 of 10
CharlieOH
Tutor

The router is working all right.  I was frustrated with my WiFi speed and one of the suggestions I found online was to update the firmware if needed. Since the router did indicate an update was available I tried to update it. It's very frustrating that the simple approach of using the user interface fails.

It says "Downloading and updating the language table, please wait for approximately one minute...".   Then after one minute, it says "Cannot connect to Netgear Server." 

So, if the update messed things up, I could be in worse shape.

For what it's worth, the current version installed on the router is V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.  The update version is V1.4.4.94_1.3.56.  The release notes that display are mostly security issues.

I will look at the procedure you suggest again.  It looked daunting when I looked through it the first time -- a consumer of time and generator of frustration.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Shooties. The .50 version. Thats what I get for not asking at the start.

that one had issues where users weren't able to update firmware. For the longest time, they had to exchange them with netgear as the firmware caused a lock. A user found a way around it that you can read about here: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/R8000P-V1-4-1-50-Update-workaround/m-p...

The standard tftp/nmrpflash won't work. You need the extra few steps to get it to work right. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7