Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P Wifi Range

JLCT
Follower

R8000P Wifi Range

I purchased this router to get better and more consistent Wifi but the range isn't sufficient. Router is one end of the home but the other end of the home, particulary on the floor below, there is no signal. Is it best to use an extender? What model is most reasonable for pushing range further to power some devices and cameras??

I see the orbi and mesh units but would prefer to not spend hundreds of dollars to extend the range. 

Message 1 of 3
Kitsap
Master

Re: R8000P Wifi Range

Netgear does make a couple of different models of wireless Wi-Fi extenders.  A step up from wireless from the standpoint of reliability is a power line extender that uses your house wiring to extend the range of Wi-Fi.  Go to Amazon and search for powerline wifi extender.  This may work to get your extender transmitter closer to the devices you are trying to supply with Wi-Fi.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000P Wifi Range

If you're only needing 1, an extender is a great option. I'm a fan of the triband options as their dedicated backhaul tends to result in much better speeds and lower latency. I usually tell people to install them using the installation assistant and uncheck the "extend 2.4ghz signal". You'll still be able to use it but it won't use it as failover for the 5ghz disconnecting. 

If you think you'll need more than 1 for the coverage, then I would switch over to an orbi system. Running multiple extenders can work but it can also cause instabilities/issues if you don't know what you're doing with it since there's nothing controlling the extenders. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7