Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8300 Whether Firmware update should be done from Version 116 to 154

Vvohra
Follower

R8300 Whether Firmware update should be done from Version 116 to 154

My R8300 Nighthawk Router which I have not updated and is running on Firmware Version 116 , gives a lower upload speed of 52 Mbps and Download speed of 250 Mbps when doing a speed test. My Hardware engineer says the reason for the difference is because it has not been updated to the current Firmware version 154 . I tried doing it on the Nighthawk app but it shows an error. I am confused whether I should do a manual update at all and whether this will sort out the upload speed , as apart from the difference in the upload and download speeds I have no other issue.
Also I wonder whether doing the update to the current version without updating to the earlier versions may cause a problem to a working Router.
Please advise.
Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: R8300 Whether Firmware update should be done from Version 116 to 154

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

I prefer a manual update over a hardwired connection to any other method of update. Tends to go the smoothest and end up with the least amount of corrupt firmware issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 6
weblee
Guide

Update no higher that 144 due to major issues with 154.  if you have problems with 144 as I do - one more step down.

On the ADVANCED, WIRELESS page disable 20/40 co-existance for the fastest speeds.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't disable 20/40 coexistance unless you live in the country. Otherwise its an D move to your neighbors. 

Message 4 of 6
weblee
Guide

whatever that means...can you be more specific?  

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

to be very brief, the 2.4ghz band only has channels 1-11 in north america. Because of channel overlap, they actually use more than just the 1 channel you select. In 20hz wide, you have 3 channels to use to prevent overlap and interference. Its why we usually recommend channels 1-6-11.  When people choose to go in between those channels and choose say channel 3, they're causing interference on people who choose channels 1 and 6. Not just the 1 set.  If you're broadcasting on 40hz wide channels, the channel overlap is even worse. In that cause, you'd only be able to have 2 wide and you'd choose 3 or 8 for the broadcast channels. And it causes more interference for others. 

So if you live around others, you choose the coexistance option as it limits it to 20hz wide to prevent interference with everyone else. 

You sure can choose to disable it, but its an "a-hole" move to your neighbors if you live in an area with quite a few signals. And it can even slow your network down. Reason why is if a device on the channel you're using is broadcasting, then your device has to wait its turn to broadcast. And if you're overlapping on more than the one set of channels, the chances of another device broadcasting increases. 

There's a ton more details than this. 

If you want to read more or see a chart about what I'm describing, read a little on 2.4ghz channels. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.4_GHz_radio_use

Basically it comes down to, if you live close to others, leave it enabled. IF you live in the country where there isn't much interference or 2.4ghz, then disable it. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7