Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R9000 with SFP+ as WAN port

Netcruizer
Aspirant

R9000 with SFP+ as WAN port

Dear Community and Gurus,

Has anybody actually got more than 1gbps combined on all open LAN ports, downloading concurrently, of R9000 when SFP+ is connected as WAN to a fiber 10gbps connection?

To clarify. If say 4x LAN ports are connected to 4 independent PC's downloading 4 streams concurrently, a combined 4gbps is achieved over the 4 LAN ports.

Reason for my asking: I have a lot of respect for Netgear engineers. So I got annoyed when somebody told me that it is not possible because of the constraint on the internal switches of R9000. Unfortunately, I do not have a 10gbps Internet connection to verify.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R9000 with SFP+ as WAN port

The LAN ports on the R9000 are max rated at 1Gb each so each PC should see just over 900Mpbs. Will not see anything over 1Gb on the LAN ports. 

Message 2 of 14
Netcruizer
Aspirant

Thank you kindly for your reply.

But it's not clear to me from your answer.

1. That 3.6 Gigabits of data in total, i.e. 4 times x 900Mbps, would arrive at 4 PCs (that are concurrently downloading from LAN ports of R9000) after 1 second of time with SFP+ as WAN port? 

2. If the above result is obtained from your actual SFP+ WAN connected to an ISP fiber connection of 10Gbps, would you be so kind provide some proof for it? 

In other words, can you validate Netgear's claim of:

• Up to 10G speeds on standard RJ45 cables

when using R9000's SFP+ for wide area network (WAN) connectivity. See: 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060605/How-do-I-set-up-my-10G-SFP-port-for-WAN-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-R89...

Thank you for your help in this matter. With respect.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume that if the ISP side of the SPF port was at 10Gb connection rates, that if you had four 1Gb connected PCs connected to the 1Gb LAN ports in back, each one could see near or just over 900Mpbs on each PC while testing all at the same time. 

Message 4 of 14
Netcruizer
Aspirant

It would seem to be a logical position to assume.

But let me to use a Thomas-inspired method in this case. Fact is it was put to me as being simply a marketing PR by Netgear of the claim cited at the link given above. It was the reason for my question of actual result as proof. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya they should have given more details about the LAN side not seeing more than 1Gb due to the LAN ports being capped at 1Gb only. 

Message 6 of 14
Netcruizer
Aspirant

So unless it can be PROVEN that more than 1 Gigabits of data per second, at the same time, can be delivered to R9000's 4 LAN ports (connected to 4 independent PC's), Netgear's claim is misleading. In other words, it is NOT true!

BTW, is it why NO ISP company recommends R9000 to its customers for connecting to its fiber 10Gbps connection?

Anyone, including Netgear engineers, please? 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

The R9000 is EoL as it's several years old now. There are other routers that now have actual 10gb WAN and ethernet ports. 

ISP don't tend to recommend equipement out side of there domain. They want users to use there stuff. 

Message 8 of 14
Netcruizer
Aspirant

I understand your point. Here is my confession.

I run a third-party OS on R9000. Simply put, R9000 becomes a formidable router even being several years old.  OpenVPN Server & Client modes with PBR, WireGuard for faster traffic in tunnel, VLANs, and so on beat the minimum standard features offered by stock firmware designed to meet everyday customers.

In one way, manufacturers want to maintain a competitive advantage of their products in a competitive market. So new products come out more frequently.

On the other hand, the more popular use of third-party firmware enhances the reputation of a manufacturer's product, e.g. Netgear.  Not diminishing it. Users of 3rd party firmware are likely to be IT influencers in their extended families, friends and associates alike of using same devices. 

I do hope my post is seen as sincere and productive 🙂

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know of 3rd party FW. Voxel is one that supports the R9000. What I have on mine. He tends to have better FW for the ones he supports. Same for my R7800 and Orbi RBK50. Ya and users who want to extend the life of something the 3rd party FW supports. 

Ya, marketing is always involved. 

Well, if you have 3rd party FW loaded, it's best to check in with them since they know more of what is behind the scenes regarding there stuff. 3rd Party FW changes things. This forum is only for NG stock FW users.

Message 10 of 14
Netcruizer
Aspirant

Whatever firmware is ran on a router, its hardware HAS to be capable of delivery before the software can take advantage of it, right?

The assertion by someone using 3rd party FW led me to asking in Netegar Community in order to establish if R9000 HW is capable of at first since I do not have a 10Gbps ISP connection. I can easily flash R9000 back to stock FW to validate or nullify that assertion otherwise.  It's why I stared asking for ACTUAL experience.  For theory can only take us so far.

Not beyond validation.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Agreed.

Message 12 of 14
Netcruizer
Aspirant

So, unless and until an affirmative confirmation, proven with evidence, the claim by Netgear of up to 10Gbps of traffic can be obtained at the LAN ports of R9000 while its SFP+ connected as WAN to a 10Gbps from ISP is totally misleading. In other words, a LIE!

I am prepared to be corrected by proof.  Cheers.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Something one can test out. Otherwise, kind of pointless at this time in the R9000s life. Use it as is. No other support would be forth coming from NG. It's EoL. 

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series