Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [RAX70] Wifi - SSID 5G-2 in Mode 'Up to 4803 Mbps' doesn't show up

Breiz
Aspirant

[RAX70] Wifi - SSID 5G-2 in Mode 'Up to 4803 Mbps' doesn't show up

Hi,

I have noticed a quirk in the wifi setup on the RAX70 with regards to the 5G-2 SSID.

When I select the Mode 'Up to 4803 Mbps', it takes ages for the SSID to show up and you can't connect to it either until it shows up. If you set it back to default mode, namely 'Up to 2401 Mpbs' it shows up immediately after a reboot.

What's causing this and why? Is this happening to others as well?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

do you live in an area with radar (military, weather, or satellite communication)? the "up to 4800" speed requires the use of DFS channels which have certain restrictions. When the router boots up, it has to scan/check those channels before it can broadcast on them (takes longer). And if it senses those channels in use with radar, it can't use them until a set period of time after they've stopped broadcasting. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

do you live in an area with radar (military, weather, or satellite communication)? the "up to 4800" speed requires the use of DFS channels which have certain restrictions. When the router boots up, it has to scan/check those channels before it can broadcast on them (takes longer). And if it senses those channels in use with radar, it can't use them until a set period of time after they've stopped broadcasting. 

Message 2 of 4
Breiz
Aspirant

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. We have weather and military radars in the area I think. Which means it'll switch channels then when it interferes through DFS, I am guessing.

Thanks this has been bugging me for a while.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I've not been able to see anything near 4800Mpbs speeds on any Netgear wifi product. Closest I've ever seen is around 4200Mpbs and thats at close range, 6-8 feet. Practicallity wise, most will not ever see this speed rate on a daily basis due to distances, wifi conditions and building materials. I kind wish router Mfrs would stop marketing this wifi speed rate. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7