Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - cannot rename devices (2021 update)

dkidd
Follower

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - cannot rename devices (2021 update)

Hello all,

I've seen a few posts regarding the Nighthawk X6 R8000 router's inability to rename attached devices. I have this problem myself and have created a "solution" for the problem - (for now anyway assuming this doesn't get patched out).

As of Firmware version V1.0.4.74_10.1.80, the "Edit" button that is missing (that other posts relating to the R7000 model boast to have available) is actually still in the HTML - just set to "Disabled." Luckily, you can re-enable said button using the developer's tools for your browser (Ctrl+Shift+I, in Chrome and Firefox on Windows, Command+Option+I, in Chrome and Firefox on macOS).

On the Access Control page, the Edit button appears to be missing:

1edit.png

Looking in the Developer Tools for your browser, the button can be brought back by changing the disabled Edit button:

<button type="SUBMIT" value="edit" id="edit_attached" name="edit_attached" class="button-rule" onclick="buttonClick(this,'edit');edit_items('');" style="display:none" disabled=""><span class="roundleft_grey">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Edit</span><span class="roundright_grey">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></button>

to enabled by removing the style="display:none" disabled="" attributes leaving you with this:

<button type="SUBMIT" value="edit" id="edit_attached" name="edit_attached" class="button-rule" onclick="buttonClick(this,'edit');edit_items('');"><span class="roundleft_grey">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Edit</span><span class="roundright_grey">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></button>

This can easily be done using JavaScript (pasted into the developer tools console) instead of traversing through the HTML yourself, as shown here:

(function(){
editButton = document.getElementsByTagName("iframe")[1].contentWindow.document.getElementById("edit_attached");
editButton.disabled = false;
editButton.removeAttribute("style");
})();

Voila!
5.png

Upon checking a device's checkbox and clicking "Edit" you'll be taken to the built-in Edit menu (that still exists and is functional!).

8.png

Finally, you can type a name for your device, and click Apply. The name should propagate throughout the other menus as well.

The downside is that you'll have to either run the aforementioned JavaScript every time you visit this page or edit the HTML using the developer tools window each time you need this Edit button available.

I recommend either creating a Bookmarklet using the provided JavaScript or using an extension like ViolentMonkey to automatically apply the JavaScript each time you visit the page, but these options are outside the scope of this post.

Hope this helps!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7