Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router issue - dropping signal every 5 minutes

LaurenFa
Aspirant

Router issue - dropping signal every 5 minutes

Hi friends. My Netgear R6400 router will have flashing white lights and then they will all go off and then the power button will come back orange. It will usually stay orange for a few minutes. When this happens I lose internet connection. It happens every 5-10 minutes. The other lights will eventually and automatically go back on -internet light is flashing white and 2.4GHz is solid white with a flash every so often. The WiFi and WPS are solid white. I have tried all the power resets and checked for updates. Also checked with provider and everything is fine on their end. PLEASE HELP!
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Router issue - dropping signal every 5 minutes

sounds like its in a boot loop.

Are you able to access it at any point during this? 

Try reinstalling the firmware on it in case the firmware is corrupt. Then do a factory reset/reinstall. 

Message 2 of 10
LaurenFa
Aspirant

Sorry, I am not tech savvy. How do I uninstall? I’m having issues doing much of anything without internet. I have my phone that I’m trying to work off with 5G
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Are you able to access the routers login info? 

if so, follow the guide above

Message 4 of 10
LaurenFa
Aspirant

I have updated the firmware and did a factory reset but I am still experiencing the drop every 10 or so minutes
Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

try downgrading the firmware a version. See if that helps. Maybe there's an issue with that version of the firmware on your device

Message 6 of 10
LaurenFa
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. It would be great if I knew how to downgrade but I don’t. It’s also hard doing any fixes when you don’t know how and don’t have the internet. It sucks that I just got this router in 2020 and the company can’t offer support. I’ve had my Apple phone for years and they still provide support. I will likely get a new (non Netgear) router or get the one from my provider. Wish Netgear was as helpful as the community but now I know why this community exists because their support service is extremely poor. I will not recommend this brand.
Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

downgrading is pretty easy. 

You follow the manual firmware update process and instead of using the newer firmware, you just use the older version. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 8 of 10
LaurenFa
Aspirant

First off - thank you for sticking with me. I read through everything and followed the directions but unfortunately I can’t keep my internet long enough to do the downgrade.
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Download the firmware onto a pc/laptop with the pc/laptop directly connected to your modem/gateway.

Then hardwire that device into the router and follow theprocess. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7