Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router kicks everyone off every time a new device joins

Ewillhelm
Aspirant

Router kicks everyone off every time a new device joins

So yeah, every time a device joins our wifi network, it causes all currently-connected devices, as well as the one trying to join, to be kicked off the internet. This lasts a few minutes, and then connection is restored. Still, this is a big nuisance.

Other info: We're on AT&T fiber, so the Nighthawk router comes after an Arris BGW210-700 in passthru mode, and with its wifi turned off. Yes, I am on the current firmware (1.3.3.142). 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Does it happen with both wired and wireless? 

Does the Internet LED on top of the router change color when this happens? 

Does the modem in router with with wifi running and the R7000P turned OFF exhibit same thing if you connect everything to the ISP modem? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Armor enabled? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 13
Ewillhelm
Aspirant

Does it happen with both wired and wireless?

No.

Does the Internet LED on top of the router change color when this happens? 

No.

Does the modem in router with with wifi running and the R7000P turned OFF exhibit same thing if you connect everything to the ISP modem?

Don't know.  

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

I'll try this.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

There are, but again, I noticed this only happens when a device (like a laptop) that's accessed our network before tries to access it again, as in after you first turn it on.

Is Armor enabled? 

It WAS for an accidental trial period, but now it's off again.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

No.

Message 3 of 13
Ewillhelm
Aspirant

And what do you mean by trying AUTO and 48 on the 5GHz network? How do I do both? Or did you mean AUTO on the 2.4 and 48 on the 5? I am noticing I get a warning that says they recommend btw 149-161 for "best wireless performance". 

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

So turning the att's wifi off doesn't put it in passthrough. and I've seen posts with that gateway not functioning properly in passthrough mode. Its not the greatest coded ISP supplied device I've seen. 

Have you tried simply leaving it in router mode, disable its wifi, and run the netgear in access point mode? 

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch at some point. 

Message 6 of 13
Ewillhelm
Aspirant

Man, this is what I hate about multiple devices. I remember going through all this initially, and my current setup was what the Netgear folks said I needed to do (Netgear in router mode etc). I fear I'll just screw everything up more if I start making changes, but oh well.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend the reset and setup from scratch then also set up the router as @plemans mentioned in AP mode with the ISP modem. Just ensure the modems wifi radios are disabled. Disable IP pass-thru as well. It's not needed if the router is in AP mode. https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 8 of 13
Ewillhelm
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Have you tried simply leaving it in router mode, disable its wifi, and run the netgear in access point mode? 

The choices are "default server" and "passthrough". So I guess "default server" is what I'm going for?
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

"default server"

Message 10 of 13
Ewillhelm
Aspirant

Now I'm all confused as to waht recommendations are for the Arris unit, and which are for the Netgear! Can one of you lay out for me how each needs to be set up? From waht I gather, it SEEMS...

The Arris needs to either have PASSTHRU turned off altogether, or be in "default server" mode, and of course with its wifi radio turned off.
The Netgear needs to be in Acces Point mode.

Message 11 of 13
Ewillhelm
Aspirant

When I choose "default server" it then gives me a dropdown to pick which one. It looks like a list of all my devices attached to the network. So now what?

Message 12 of 13
Ewillhelm
Aspirant

And from the description of ROUTER and AP MODE, it doesn't sound like I'd want to switch to AP mode...

In router mode, your NETGEAR device functions normally and all of the router’s features are available. Some popular features can only be used in router mode, including the following:

• Guest network
  • The ability to block specific websites
  • VPN Service
  • Remote Management

In access point (AP) mode, your NETGEAR router acts as a gateway for other devices to connect to. Setting up your NETGEAR router in AP mode extends the existing WiFi of your ISP-provided hardware.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7