Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router won't connect to internet (Comcast modem) anymore

haw1144
Follower

Router won't connect to internet (Comcast modem) anymore

I've had this router for a few months without any issues. But this morning all my connected computers said limited connection.. I'm still on the network but no internet available.

I've tried unplugging the power on both the modem and router but the same thing happens. If I plug a computer directly to the cable modem, I access the internet fine, which leads me to believe it's a router related issue.

R7000 Genie says Not Connected as well...

Any ideas/suggestions?
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
WizardJ
Luminary

Re: Router won't connect to internet (Comcast modem) anymore

haw1144 wrote:
Any ideas/suggestions?

Since you seem to be getting an Internet connection just fine when connecting a PC wired to the modem I would recommend that you try to spoof the MAC of that PC. Simply do this:

From the PC that you are able to reach the Internet when connected directly to the modem, connect a cable to one of the four LAN ports on the R7000. Log in to it via http://192.168.1.1/ with admin as username and password as password. Click Advanced and choose Setup -> Internet Setup. Make sure everything is set to automatic/dynamic and at the last option for Router MAC Address you choose Use Computer MAC Address. Click Apply and wait for the page to return. It should get right back to working now!

If it's still not working, please tell us how the Internet LED light on the front of the router is lit (the globe).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 28

All Replies
Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

Comcast will change the ip address of your modem, which will force you to reestablish your connection to comcast modem from R7000. .

A large inconvenience, if you use your own router. I had my ip address changed twice since Jan.1, 2014, and contacted comcast, so that i could reconnect without their wireless, since their signal is set extremely high. After three hours and seven different phone calls to comcast, their "techs" disabled router and not wireless signal. Took three days to have service tech set to home to exchange router. Laughable to watch comcast senior tech on his phone attempting to have comcast set router without wireless signal activated, yet able to connect my R7000.

Hours on phone - Days waiting for tech - Laughing at what tech claimed "10 Minute Job" taking 2+ hours and two techs

This will occur whenever your ip address is changed I call and have senior tech sent to home, and have tech remove service call fee, when they are at home to "fix". I am considering setting home account to Business account, since comcast assigns static ip for business accounts, yet that has its own problems, also.
Good Luck-
Clark
Message 2 of 28
Devor
Luminary

When you lose Internet, what does the WAN IP address show when you log into the router?

As to the desktop Genie software, I'd remove it and use the router's UI.
Message 3 of 28
WizardJ
Luminary

haw1144 wrote:
Any ideas/suggestions?

Since you seem to be getting an Internet connection just fine when connecting a PC wired to the modem I would recommend that you try to spoof the MAC of that PC. Simply do this:

From the PC that you are able to reach the Internet when connected directly to the modem, connect a cable to one of the four LAN ports on the R7000. Log in to it via http://192.168.1.1/ with admin as username and password as password. Click Advanced and choose Setup -> Internet Setup. Make sure everything is set to automatic/dynamic and at the last option for Router MAC Address you choose Use Computer MAC Address. Click Apply and wait for the page to return. It should get right back to working now!

If it's still not working, please tell us how the Internet LED light on the front of the router is lit (the globe).
Message 4 of 28
monkeyking
Aspirant

Did you try resetting the modem through your comcast account? I also have the limited connection error this morning and tried unplugging the power on both devices, but that did not work. My modem is sb6120. So I decided to go through the diagnostic option (when you sign in your account) and one of the option was to reset the modem. After the reset, both the modem and router worked again. Originally I thought it was an outage in my area since that tend to happen a couple of times lately. However, checking the connection status from my account show internet is connected so I ended up going through the troubleshoot process setup on their website. Good luck.
Message 5 of 28
Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

Resetting the modem has not been a choice in my experience. Comcast resets the modem with a new ip, and comcast modem will only allow R7000 to work as an access point. I have not found any way to turn the wireless transmitter OFF on any of the three comcast modems (i.e. device webgui) I have had in the past four months. Wireless transmitter must be turned OFF by comcast.
If anyone has found a way to access and control the modem, please post your findings.

Clark
Message 6 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Comcast maybe renew the IP by releasing current MAC address was used on R7000

While spoofing might be quick way getting back .

Also try by turn off the comcast modem for at least 30min and power up the modem only
Wait for all the light comes on.

Then try power on the router without spoofing setting (keep default)

See hoes that goes
Message 7 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

10.0.0.1 admin password
Message 8 of 28
Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

searay wrote:
10.0.0.1 admin password

"Been There & Done That"
Limited control and no ability to control wireless transmitter, or use comcast equipment as modem only, so R7000 is only router on network.

Thank You for trying. You are more informed then the comcast tech support.
This forum is a significant help for myself and others avoiding the uneducated corporate tech support lines.

Thanks to All & Have A Great Day-
Clark
Message 9 of 28
Devor
Luminary

Unless you have inadvertently set a static IP address for the WAN in the router's configuration, provided that your modem is working properly, the router should be able to seamlessly handle any IP address changes from your ISP.
Message 10 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Limited control and no ability to control wireless transmitter, or use comcast equipment as modem only, so R7000 is only router on network.

Sounds like comcast provided device can not be in modem mode? what model.
Message 11 of 28
Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

Current model Arris TG 862 v5
No ability to ON/OFF wireless or change modem mode to bridge, via webgui.

Whenever comcast changes customer ip address, the modem does a reboot, and I am forced to contact comcast tech line to have modem placed in bridge mode, in order to use own wireless router (R7000).
Sounds simple enough, yet twice, i have had telephone tech support deactivate modem. No Internet and No telephone. Forcing me to call from cell to make service appt. As previously stated, service tech at my home two hours, in order to have modem set correctly (a.k.a. My Way).
Sorry for highjacking thread from OP, but prepare for the worse, when dealing with comcast telephone techs.

Have A Great Day-
Clark
Message 12 of 28
Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

I intended to write
I want Gateway mode, and not bridge mode

Clark
Message 13 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You mean Arris TG862G?

I used to have arris modem with telephone from Comcast up till last year and ip changes does not cause grief at all. I had no wireless version
Message 14 of 28
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I have the Arris TM722g modem here, and Comcast changes my WAN address whenever they want to (surprisingly frequently). Has no effect on my networking here, modem and everything just continues to work fine. The only time I've needed to reset the modem is when Comcast makes some kind of configuration change, like when they enabled IPv6, or when they did something with the bonded download channels, and I got a speed increase by resetting.

I'm surprised that the Arris can't be configured by Comcast into bridged mode, so that you can use your R7000 as your router rather than the Arris. Sounds like you might have some uniformed Comcast people that you're talking with. Have you looked at the user's manual for the Arris to see if it can be put into bridge mode?
Message 15 of 28
Clark_Griswald
Aspirant

Yes, that is my current model modem. There is a v5 printed next to model #.
I started with a similar model without wireless, also last year, and when I moved to triple play, comcast changed to wireless modems and the X1 cable boxes. All modems were/are wireless models. I was told customer has no choice in modem, since all issued have wireless capabilities.
Locally, comcast changed ip address once each month (Jan & Feb), hoping they will skip this month. When I experience any problems with comcast, i take a deep breath and think of the South Park episode, where the cable people give themselves titty-twisters as they feign concern for their customers, and then I dial comcast tech line.

On a happy thought - I am using the latest official fw with zero problems with my R7000. The R7000 is a significant step forward, from my now dead wndr3800, which had served me well.

Have a great Day-
Clark
Message 16 of 28
Devor
Luminary

My ISP wanted me to use one of their modems, but after talking with them they agreed that my Zoom modem was all around better. They claimed that they still had to send me theirs and to this day it sits in the closet in an unopened box. That could be one option, buy a better modem and supply them the MAC address. Note that some ISPs will still balk because they want the rental fees.

Another option would be to keep having them replace the modem. When they complain to you about constant calling, tell them that you wouldn't have to keep calling if they fixed the issue or let you use your own modem. Note that you could become a nuisance and they might cancel your service.

My point is, I would not put up with the current situation. There is no reason for your current modem to not seamlessly handle any IP address changes from your ISP. Either the modem or the ISP is the issue. You should not have to deal with ISP IP address changes. That is not your problem.
Message 17 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Clark_Griswald,

They might be forcing the WIFI now to build out their HOT SPOT roll out. Meaning each modem serves two purposes one SSID for you and another hidden type to build out their HOT SPOT. Check to see if you can pickup their HoT Spot.

Also have you used the X1 HDMI connection to your TV. If so any problems? Does it pass DD? Does the video and audio loose sync, the lips move then a second later you hear them.
Message 18 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

How does the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot work?

Your XFINITY Wireless Gateway broadcasts an additional “xfinitywifi” network signal for use with XFINITY WiFi. This creates an extension of the XFINITY WiFi network right in your home that any XFINITY Internet subscriber can use to sign in and connect. This XFINITY WiFi service is completely separate from your secure WiFi home network.

To learn more, watch our video tutorial at xfinity.com/wifi/neighborhood.
Message 19 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I found this last year @ my nephew's house, I disabled it. I think it's BS that Comcast doesn't inform customers that this is going on. Bad link BTW
Message 20 of 28
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 21 of 28
Bigcid10
Guide

you guys are funny 😄 disconect router ,type 192.168.100.1 into browser ,then reset ,wait 1 min,if all lights don't go solid,problem is comcast not the router
either you didn't pay your bill or the comcast servers are messed up
Message 22 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

if the modem is off line typing the IP does no good
Message 23 of 28
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

192.168.100.1 is a common IP address for DOCSIS modems, and will normally provide access to the admin GUI regardless of the state of the WAN connection.
Message 24 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That was the case in the past, Now it's not with Arris TM722g, if you remove coax to modem it starts to search for downstream and the GUI does not respond until modem is back on line. This wasn't always the case but is now. just verified it again.
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7