Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setup R7000 in Bridge Mode

scothouse
Aspirant

Setup R7000 in Bridge Mode

I am the new owner of two Nighthawk R7000 Routers. One I have configured as a router - it's connected to an Arris Surfboard 6190 cable modem and working flawlessly with both wired and wirelsss clients that are connected.

I want to setup the other Nighthawk in bridge mode right next the AV equipment that I use principally for streaming. I setup the second Nighthawk and configured in bridge mode according to these instructions. I have ethernet running between the Nighthawk router upstaris in the office and the Nighthawk bridge in the AV room. I expected that the two devices would connect via the ethernet cable (which is connected via a LAN port out on the router and the WAN port in on the bridge), but that's not what is happening - the bridge is showing as connected to the router via wireless. Further, I have devices (e.,g an Apple TV) connected via ethernet to the bridge, but on the attached devices map of the router, these devices are showing a wireless, not a wired connection.

Where did I go wrong in my setup? Thanks in adcvance!

-Scot

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'll try this one last time.

Ever been to a hotel?

They use AP's some hotels use dozens of them.

They also have one SSID to cover ALL the Guest rooms.

You're over thinking this instead of taking my suggestions.

Use AP mode

use same SSID on each band 2.4 xxx & 5G yyyy

Use different channels 2.4 1,6 or 11 5g 48 or 161

Use same security on all

Been doing this for 5 years IT DOES WORK.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You want AP MODE! or use a switch if streaming devices have LAN ports.

The device showing up as wifi is because it's using wifi (bridge ) to connect to main router. MAKE SENSE???

Message 2 of 14
scothouse
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply - but no, I'm not tracking with.

Shouldn't, if the two devices are connected via ethernet, connect that way (rarher than wireless)?

The goal is to get greater bandwidth to AV devices that are way downsteam.

Message 3 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The bridge is a wireless connection,( Look at the picture in the link you posted) Why because the bridge is connected via WIFI to the main router. Plugging in a Cat xx cable means nothing BECAUSE you're using bridge when you SHOULD be using AP Mode.

USE AP MODE and all your concerns will be addressed.

Message 4 of 14
scothouse
Aspirant

Okay, so I've taken you're advice and connected my Smart TV and Apple TV (streaming devices) to a switch that is connected via ethernet directly to the router. As expected - excellent results.

So, am I correct in saying that the Nighthawk 7000 in bridge mode needed be connected wirelessly to the router. Does ot work to somehow boost the wireless signal from where it is placed? That is the secondary function I am wanting to achieve with the bridge mode function.

I understand your point about AP - but I don't won't to project anohter network. I simply want:

- One and strong and consistent wifi network throughout my 2,500 + old Victorian home (two stories - the main router is upstrairs);

- Optimal throughput to my streaming devices setup on the first floor.'

Thanks again for your input!

-Scot

Message 5 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You still want AP MODE!!  Use same SSID's and security 

On 2nd thought do some research on the benefits of using AP Mode especially in large homes. After several days of thinking about come back with any questions.

Trust Me you want AP MODE.

Message 6 of 14
scothouse
Aspirant

Hi Searay - thanks so much for your input - much appreciated.

I totally get where you are coming from with AP mode. But I only want one network through the entire house - that's why I was wanting to use bridge mode. To my understanding, plesase correct If I'm wrong, using AP would require a second network. In other words, and I think as you have noted, I cannot use AP and the same network as my router is projecting.

I'm coming from an Apple setup where I had one router and one bridge tied together by ethernet but both projecting the same network.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 7 of 14
scothouse
Aspirant

Hi Searay - thanks so much for your input - much appreciated.

I totally get where you are coming from with AP mode. But I only want one network through the entire house - that's why I was wanting to use bridge mode. To my understanding, plesase correct If I'm wrong, using AP would require a second network. In other words, and I think as you have noted, I cannot use AP and the same network as my router is projecting.

I'm coming from an Apple setup where I had one router and one bridge tied together by ethernet but both projecting the same network.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 8 of 14
TheEther
Guru

searay is right. Netgear's bridge mode uses dedicated Wi-Fi to connect to the main router.  Only wired clients are allowed.

You want AP Mode, which uses Ethernet (or Powerline) to connect to the main router.  Both wired and wireless clients are allowed.  It does not create a second IP network.

Message 9 of 14
scothouse
Aspirant

Beautiful - so if I use AP mode, and configure both the main router and attached AP to project the same SSID, I'm golden? Thanks!

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'll try this one last time.

Ever been to a hotel?

They use AP's some hotels use dozens of them.

They also have one SSID to cover ALL the Guest rooms.

You're over thinking this instead of taking my suggestions.

Use AP mode

use same SSID on each band 2.4 xxx & 5G yyyy

Use different channels 2.4 1,6 or 11 5g 48 or 161

Use same security on all

Been doing this for 5 years IT DOES WORK.

Message 11 of 14
scothouse
Aspirant

Thanks. Appreciate your help!

Message 12 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Yup. Make sure to use different Wi-Fi channels.
Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You're Welcome and Good Luck with it!

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7