Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Spectrum Cable Modem and R7000 sudden issue

kbartley
Aspirant

Spectrum Cable Modem and R7000 sudden issue

Spectrum recently upgraded my modem to the 400Mbs speed  Told me need their router to "balance the signal".  Obviously I don't think theirs is anywhere nearly as good.  So I tried switching back to my Nighthawk Router after they left.  I get a red light on the internet indicator (second from the left) and one of the items plugged in to the back of the router throws a red light as well. Moved it to a different port on the back and still have a red light.  So is my Nighthawk now junk?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Spectrum Cable Modem and R7000 sudden issue

Definately power cycle the modem and router together.

You might need to factory reset the router and then walk thru the setup wizard while the router is connected to the modem. It should connect...

@kbartley wrote:

Spectrum recently upgraded my modem to the 400Mbs speed  Told me need their router to "balance the signal".  Obviously I don't think theirs is anywhere nearly as good.  So I tried switching back to my Nighthawk Router after they left.  I get a red light on the internet indicator (second from the left) and one of the items plugged in to the back of the router throws a red light as well. Moved it to a different port on the back and still have a red light.  So is my Nighthawk now junk?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

Message 2 of 8
kbartley
Aspirant

It is a Technicolor Model E31T2V1

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is that the model# listed on the front or the sticker of the modem?

This modem have wireless and or a built in router by chance?

Message 4 of 8
kbartley
Aspirant

it is on the sticker of the modem.  It does not have wireless or a built in router 

Message 5 of 8
myersw
Master

OK. If jst a modem have you gone through the normal process. Power down both the modem and the router. Then power up the modem and let it stablize, about 2 minutes normally, then power up the router. Thing of note the router should be set as getting DHCP from the modem and the Ethernet cable from the modem should be plugged into the WAN port on the router. Should then get Internet connection hopefully. 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Definately power cycle the modem and router together.

You might need to factory reset the router and then walk thru the setup wizard while the router is connected to the modem. It should connect...

@kbartley wrote:

Message 7 of 8
IrvSp
Master

If you have Spectrum phone you got a combo modem/router/eMTA unit. Spectrum, at least where I am used Arris mostly.

What is not clear to me is what you meant by "So I tried switching back to my Nighthawk Router after they left."?

I can read that a few ways ways:

1. I took out the 'modem' they just put in and replaced MY OLD Netgear Cable modem (CMxxx) with it.
  2. I took out the 'router' they just put in and in its place I hooked up my R7000.
  3. I took out the 'modem' they just put in and in its place I hooked up my R7000.

NONE of these will work for a variety of reasons:

1.  For #1 above the ISP has set the MAC address of the OLD  modem you had to your account. You can't take out the proper modem, it will not connect.
  2. For #2 above, if they indeed left both a new modem and a router (odd as I'd suspect a DOCSIS 3.1 modem/router combo if the included wireless with your service) again you can't just do plug and play. You must turn both off, turn on the modem first and let it come up, then the router, and once up, devices. That should work.
  3. For #3 above, totally wrong. The R7000 is NOT a modem. I can not handle the signal coming in. However I don't even know how you could do this as the connector for the ISP's line isn't capable of connecting to the R7000.

Sooo, what exactly to you have connected what and how? Make and Model numbers included and if you get any errors? Can you open Genie in  a browser and connect to the R7000? What is the Connection info?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7