Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Two Extenders with Nighthawk X10 - is it possible?

GeorgeCRD
Tutor

Two Extenders with Nighthawk X10 - is it possible?

I have Nighhawk X10 router and one extender Nighthawk X4S.

I am thinking about adding aonther X4S - is this possible and will it work?  

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@GeorgeCRD wrote:

Thanks for the response, it sounds logical.

So if I went to the extender settings and blocked the other extender, should it work OK? 

not necessarily. I'm not 100% sure how the blocking works with those extenders but if it blocks it off ssid and not mac address, it could end up blocking the connection to the router. 

Or if they end up daisy chaining (router-----extender------extender), what if the middle on has blocked the final step? Then it doesn't connect. Its usually why I recommend an actual mesh system or setting one of the extenders with its own ssid. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Is it possible? yes

will it work? maybe

Reason I say maybe is the mesh extenders can be finicky when using more than 1. Reason why is they aren't full mesh system with a router controlling them. They connect back to the primary router based off the ssid. If you're using 2 extenders with the onessid function, they can occassionally see each other and end up connecting to each other and not the router. 

Many don't have issues with this. Some do. 

When they do, then you simply change one of the extenders to use a different ssid so they dont' end up connected to each other. 

for this reason, I usually recommend people who need more than 1 extender, to move to a full mesh system like orbi and not an extender mesh. 

Message 2 of 5
GeorgeCRD
Tutor

So if I went to the extender settings and blocked the other extender, should it work OK? 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@GeorgeCRD wrote:

not necessarily. I'm not 100% sure how the blocking works with those extenders but if it blocks it off ssid and not mac address, it could end up blocking the connection to the router. 

Or if they end up daisy chaining (router-----extender------extender), what if the middle on has blocked the final step? Then it doesn't connect. Its usually why I recommend an actual mesh system or setting one of the extenders with its own ssid. 

Message 4 of 5
GeorgeCRD
Tutor

Right, if the SSID is used for blocking then the whole extender is off.

But in case that MAC address is used, it should all work OK - just two extenders would not communicate, which is exactly what I need.

With MAC address blocking daisy chaining (router -<-> extender <-> extender) would obviously not work. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series