Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN to access remote LAN without using Remote Desktop

JacquieMz
Aspirant

VPN to access remote LAN without using Remote Desktop

I am looking to add mobile access to my LAN network thru WIFI.  I already can access thru remote desktop to computers running Win 7 Pro, but I need to be able to remotely access the "server" as if the computer is ethernet wired to the LAN, but running thru wifi for access away from the building.  Is this setup even possible?  Everything I have found seems to point to remote access, where you have to have access to a computer hard wired directly into the LAN.  Anyone out there set anything like this up and accessed your LAN directly thru the wifi with a tablet PC on wifi?  

Thanks

Jackie

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: VPN to access remote LAN without using Remote Desktop

Hi JacquieMz,

The scenario you wanted may not be supported by the OpenVPN feature of the router. You may need to follow the suggestion of your software provider.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi JacquieMz,

1. What is the model number of your router?

2. The only VPN that NETGEAR supports is the OpenVPN. For other VPN service, you may check 3rd party softwares.

Message 2 of 5
JacquieMz
Aspirant

I currently have a Netgear FVS318G attached directly to my modem from Comcast configured with VPN connections, and then have multiple switches and Netgear Wifi routers on the network.  The Nighthawk AC900 R7000 Smart Wifi router is the one I am using for the remote access currently, I have set up a VPN connection and am tapping into a desktop computer running Win 7 Pro on the LAN. 

My software provider is suggesting I purchase their "host box" and it has terminal service software for as many remote access logins that I need for my remote access for my employees, but I was trying to see if there was a way to do it with my current hardware configurations.  I have 10 computers on my LAN, all connected to a dedicated "server" (Win 7 Pro mapped network drive) running the program they need to access and currently the employees have to come in from the yard or shop to punch in or do their write ups.  I am looking for a way for them to all have their own tablet PC at their work stations and not have to keep coming in to do their reports.  

So basically the question is can you tap into a LAN (wired) from a WIFI connection without going thru a host computer with remote desktop?

Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi JacquieMz,

The scenario you wanted may not be supported by the OpenVPN feature of the router. You may need to follow the suggestion of your software provider.

Message 4 of 5
JacquieMz
Aspirant

Thanks.  We have been using a tablet PC as a beta test on the floor and it seems to be working out well.  It currently is just set as a remote connection to one of the computers on the LAN, but we are going ahead with the purchase of the "host box" from our software provider. 

Jackie

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7