Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi vs Cat5

NWalesMofo
Aspirant

WiFi vs Cat5

Hi.
Just installed a EX6410v2 to replace an AC1200 with a broken antenna. I had the AC1200 connected with a Cat5 and speeds were good. The new EX6410v2 has better speeds so I’m in two minds whether to just leave it connected to my router via WiFi or reuse the Cat5.
Not knowing much about the speeds, I wondered if anyone could please advise 1) whether it would be better to have the EX6410v2 connected via Cat5 and if so, 2) if I need to set it up again using a different method to what I used to get it running via WiFi.
Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

@NWalesMofo wrote:

Just installed a EX6410v2 to replace an AC1200 with a broken antenna. I had the AC1200 connected with a Cat5 and speeds were good. The new EX6410v2 has better speeds so I’m in two minds whether to just leave it connected to my router via WiFi or reuse the Cat5.

Wired backhaul is generally reckoned to be faster the WiFi. There is next to no lag between router and extender. That cannot be said for WiFi.

if I need to set it up again using a different method to what I used to get it running via WiFi.

Set up the Extender as an Access Point.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Install your extender in access point mode.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

@NWalesMofo wrote:

Wired backhaul is generally reckoned to be faster the WiFi. There is next to no lag between router and extender. That cannot be said for WiFi.

if I need to set it up again using a different method to what I used to get it running via WiFi.

Set up the Extender as an Access Point.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Install your extender in access point mode.

Message 2 of 3
NWalesMofo
Aspirant

Many thanks, I’ll try this
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements